El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1982 El Camino has a little problem. The part on the dash that tells you what gear you're in is off. You have to really "know" and feel when it's in gear, which becomes a hassle when someone else needs to use it. (I'm not 16 yet, and so I don't drive it all the time, my parents use it every once in awhile to run if their car is undriveable). I was wondering how I would be able to fix this problem, if at all? Like I said earlier, I know the car so it's not a problem to me, but to the others that use it from time to time. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Once you take the center dash out, you'll find a unit that contains the needle...the unit is connected to pin on the column linked to the column shifter 9assuming your car is so equipped; if this is a floor shifter, I can not help you).

The needle is kept under tension with a spring.

Either the spring is binding/weak or the slide lever that the needle is connected to is binding. A light lithium grease on the moving parts may be all that is necessary for the unit to work freely.

When working with this unit, be careful. The unit is rather delicate and the needle can break off easily...but can be reglued.

There is some fiddlig you can do with the wire links to the column to ensure the needle gets to the right gear letters.

If the uit comes apart in too many pieces, replacement is necessary...about $20-$30 at dealer for new one.

If any of this sounds vague, it will be crystal clear once you have the dash apart...it's a very straightforward piece.

Good luck.

Taj

1 - 2 of 2 Posts