El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I've got a friend who has an 78 elco and suggested I get classic car plates. In Wa state you can get them if your vehicle is 30+ years old. They don't require buying tabs every year or emission tests any more, but through my own research have learned that they are ONLY for vehicles that won't be daily drivers. I'm sure I'll get a chuckle out of some of the older fellas here over this topic, but this is the oldest car I've ever had, and the thought of never having to buy tabs again is tempting, but this will be my daily driver.

So my question is has anyone else gotten classic car plates who drive their elco daily, and how strict is this whole thing? I've heard of a few people who have classic car plates on their daily drivers and have never had a problem with police/licensing dept. etc..

I'm leaning more towards doing the right thing, not the cheap thing, but hearing this from a friend who already has an elco with classic plates is kind of making me think this might be o.k.

Here's the Wa page if anyone is interested:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/spcollector.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
If it's like most collector plates etc, they base it upon mileage. I see it has provisions for driving to and from events, etc. I would see what the mileage requirements were (if any) and go from there. Basically a speedometer malfunction that you don't notice ( No speedo hooked up = no mileage recorded ;) ) will fix the mileage problem with a quickness.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
hello Joel my name is Roel. I considered an antique tag for my elky in Alabama. after reading all the rules I decided against it.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
In Maryland, you have to get a safety inspection only when a used vehicle changes hands and bi-annual emissions testing. The "historic" tag exempts the car from both of these requirements - just has to be 20+ years old. Other than that, I have not found any restrictions on the use of the vehicle. However... I still have to pay registration fees every 2 years like any other vehicle, though it is a lot less.

However, it's the insurance that really screws ya. Regular insurance won't cover the car worth a damn... collector car insurance won't let you use it as your primary vehicle.

·
Silver Contributor Participating Member
461 Posts
One potential problem you may have is that, if you're ever in an accident, the insurance company may deny the claim if there are indications that you were not keeping with the rules (i.e., using it as a daily driver). Because something like that can put you into personal bankruptcy, this keeps a lot of people from being tempted to 'bend the rules' (like not hooking up their speedo ...). Other than that, there probably isn't going to be a lot of enforcement on something like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts