El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any tips for installing a new sound system in an El Camino? Anything would help. I have never installed a sound system but I plan on buying everything I need on Ebay and then paying someone to install it for me. What's the best to get for an El Camino?

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
I don't mean to pick...but ebay is not always your best choice. Figure out what you want (ask questions here). Shop wisely (ask questions here). You really can do everything by yourself without paying someone to do it for you (ask questions here, we'll help!). Put the checkbook down, get your hands dirty and save a ton of bux. Get the hint! :D

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I agree, spending a lot of money on a system that is overkill is a waste. I installed an AC Delco AM/FM cassette with a 5 band equalizer out of a 95 Trans Am, I am very happy with Delco systems and always have been. I plan on installing some speakers in custom enclosures (that I'll fabricate) in the smugglers box with an amp, nothing big, maybe 50 to 70 watts. I think it will be more than adequate for the small Elky interior.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to really get a good sound system going. I want lots of bass but at the same time I want to be able to hear what they are saying. Lot's of bass.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I put some really nice rockford Fosgate 3.5" in the dash, a Sony Xplode Head unit that will play MP3's in the dash. (you will need to modify the plastic a bit for this), and a 200W(in your dreams) Audiovox ($79.00) 8" sub behind the driver's seat in the Smuggler's compartment. I still have room for the chains, and tools in there next to it. You can't get any bass out of a 3.5"! It doesn't pound you, but it's a full sound on a small budget. If you want to crank it, it sounds great. XM radio is the newest addition, and it's worth the $10/ month.

Details at: http://home.comcast.net/~johncgg/stereo.htm

JC

·
1,867 Posts
A 50 watt head unit, 3 1/2 coaxles in the front & 6x9 triaxles in custom boxes under the rear carpet is all the system I will ever need!

·
Registered
137 Posts
A good tip for purchasing Sound System Components is... Save up your money and buy quality components. The cheaper ones off of Ebay are just going to fail you quicker... That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
johncgg said:
I put some really nice rockford Fosgate 3.5" in the dash
Details at: http://home.comcast.net/~johncgg/stereo.htm

JC
I was told by someone at "Car Toys" that Rockford fosgate speakers were "basically" garbage. I had specked out the system for my 80 which included Rockford Fosgate Component speakers and amps. I went to Car Toys to see if they had a better price than Crutchfield and they didn't carry them and told me this story and tried to sell me something less.

I still will end up with Rockford Fosgate component speakers and a Kenwood (probably) head and CD changer for mine when its time.

Crutchfield is way too expensive. Circuit City or some other discount place will have pretty much what you want at a better cost than most mail order / internet places.

Speck out the system and then go looking for the best prices. Don't E-Bay its a rip off anyway.

Installation could be a big deal if you have absolutely no mechanical ability at all but if you do its not that big of a task.

Just mi opinion.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I installed a Sony and Pioneer Speakers in my 79. I have no complaints. Even better in my 85 I found the 120 Pioneer System that had the stereo and 4 speakers. I made boxes for the back speakers and put them behind the carpet. Make sure if you decide to make your own boxes to cut a little hole on the top so the majority of the bass does not get lost inside the box. Great Sound!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got 2 pioneer tweeters up front and 2 pioneer 6x9s behind the seats with a 200 watt alpine amp for now, but later i wanna put either 2 12's or 4.

·
Registered
284 Posts

i would go to a car audio store. maybe like mobile one or something like that. they will be able to help you with any questions you have.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
As elcaminofactory pointed out, Delco unit from later GM cars will fit easily and there's usually a pretty fair selection at your local vendor of pre-tested auto parts.

And pawn shop in my area has several last year's model AM/FM/CD new in box for $80-100. They're single DIN size, so actually a little smaller than the stock old radio/cassette.

BTW I found the stock unit was already wired for front/rear sprakers, but rear leads were not used. So I put in some small speaker boxes into the hole behind the seats, and I'm still using the stock radio till I can work my way down to it on the priority list.

So dig into the dash and put what you want into it yourself. It ain't brain surgery. And you'll start to learn how your car is put together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe u could try to make the sound a little better and get two speakers for behind the seats in the smuglers comp. and mount them in a custom box with 2 8 inch subs in box in the middle of the comp.

I am not very good at explaining so if anyone else understands please explain more detailed

Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just picked up an 80, and it has a stock am fm, but it has a set up for 4 speakers. Some one in it's dark past, had mounted 2 speakers, which I can only descriib as being triangular. they are bolted at the front of the cove, on both sides So at least I have the wireing set up, ready to go! :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have two units sitting here amongst the parts and pieces. A new Bose head unit for a Nissan Maxima ( way to big for the dash ) so I would have to fabricate a console for the forward area of the tranny hump, leaving a hole in the dash to cover up. The Bose was a freebie donated by a Nissan employee from upper management. This seems to be the hard way to go so, I'm gonna install the Kenwood am/fm/CD changer head in the dash. It's 4 X 45 watts and that should be more than enough power inside the El Camino. I have boxed the area behind the seats and installed 2 small midranges speakers near the top of each panel and using 1 - 6 1/2" coax speaker near the bottom of each panel. It's just a matter of personal taste when it comes to a sound system. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
speaks

I have 16 speaks total in my 76. in the cab i have mounted one 6 1/2 in. on each door and one behind each head rest, along with a 4x4behind the rear panal. i have two 12in. subs behind the seat , which are hooked up to a 800watt amp, and in the bed of the truck i have six 6 1/2 in. (2 are treb on a 300 watt amp, and the other 4 are triple bass, which are sharing the amp that my subs are on) and i have two 6x9 in. i installed all of theses my self and i will tell that wirering is very important. and if you want you system to sound really good but not so loud you should find a 300-500 watt amp( you may be able to find from $50-$70)

·
Registered
105 Posts
i've seen people build the smugglers compartment out a bit farther ( 3/4 plywood and a bit of elbow grease) they covered it with carpet from the floor and installed the entire soundsystem back there. 2 12 inch subs and 2 or 4 6x9's ... works great... just make sure you get a big enough amp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 2 twelves i bought and it came w/ a box but the box doesnt fit.I figured it wouldnt but yea. ANy ideas on a custom box for the smugllers box?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts