El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Supporting Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it an issue if the Sway bar is in solid contact with the center section of the differential? I saw that mine was, and am concerned that it might be causing handling issues. I don't know if I may have bent the sway bar at some time in the past when using a floor jack.

Any thoughts?

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,587 Posts
I wouldn't worry about any adverse effects on handling. I've worked in GM dealers since the 70's and have seen a ton of GM cars with the rear bar against the pumpkin. In theory, any bind that would inhibit the free rotation of a torsion bar could cause inconsistencies in its response, but I've never seen one bent that bad. Usually, due to lack of attention in lifting with a jack or hoist, the bar makes light contact at best, nothing that would truly put it in a bind. FWIW, the '78 version of the rear bar runs straight across from side to side, passing across the rear end cover rather than below it. I have one of those on my '87. I like the idea that my bar is a straight piece of material, rather than having bends in it, giving a more consistent response in its absorbing and release of energy. But we're really splitting hairs here.

Bill

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine touches, and I haven't experienced any problems with it.

·
Supporting Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been hunting down a resonant vibration for quite a while now, and wanted to eliminate this as a potential issue, so I pulled the sway bar off and went for a test drive and VOILA- no Resonant Vibration. So I think I found the issue? Not so fast.

Got home and went to re-install the bar, just to verify that this was indeed the issue,and noticed that the front sway bar bolt on the passenger side was long enough that it was catching the passenger side exhaust hanger when the passenger side wheel traveled upward, pushing the muffler upward enough to come into contact with the lower Control Arm mounting point on the frame. I felt sure this was the issue. Reversed the bolt, went for a drive with the sway bar mounted, and no vibration :nanawrench:

I went ahead and clearanced the bottom of the pumpkin enough to also eliminate any adverse affects or noise from the sway bar, but I am SO HAPPY to have found this annoying issue with the exhaust. For reference, the vehicle has a dual exhaust from a MonteCarlo SS. I was amazed to find it still has the stock 87 mufflers. Guess it helps living in the desert.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,587 Posts
As I posted earlier, this was a common problem on Buicks from the 70's with a rear bar. If there were any concerns about possible noise, we'd wrap the center of the bar with a sleeve of split heater hose and a few zip ties. Never saw one worn thru the hose.

Bill

·
Supporting Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bill. I had actually split some hose and slipped it on, but decided to go ahead and do a little grinding anyway. It was under a bit of tension, and took about 3/16" to get clear. I got good at taking it on and off , though :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts