El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the body connector that spans the #5 and #6
body mount is called and where the heck do I find one to replace the ruined (rusty) one on my 81? Its at the rear wheels and helps support the bed. It also keeps the body off the brake lines, which is always nice.

That seems to be the extent of my rust (except the pans, and I know where to get those).

The GM replacement part sites are curiously silent as to this part.

It's a car worth keeping (at least I keep telling myself this).

Any help would be appreciated. Greatly.

Dan

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
When I get home tonight I'll look at my parts book and see if there is a part number for it. But it sounds like the crossbrace for the frame. I think that's part of the frame and you may not be able to get it unless you go to salvage yard and take it from another car. Not positive about this until I look at my book.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
8) Welcome to the world of fiberglass parts! Over the years I ave learned it's kind of hit and miss on finding parts that actually fit. To get a perfect or for that matter a good fit usually involves additional fiberglass work. As with my hood one side has too much of an arch to it.(probably pulled from the mold too soon) Also When it was still cold out I adjusted at great pains to get the fitment as close as possible. Now that it has warmed up the fit has changed again as fiberglass tends to expand and contract with temperature changes! All I can suggest is have a good bodyman take a look at it and see what he suggests! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
*(^&*%(&$$

Thats what I thought. I'm kinda bummed out, I love this new hood (4" cowl) but getting it into a body shop here is like pulling teeth. with all the rain that we've been getting everyone is backed up for months. I guess I have no choice. thanks.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Sounds like yer talking bout the upper rear crossmember. That's an integral part of the frame and comes with the frame. Couldn't order it separately from the factory (although ifn you knew somebody at the Fisher Body plant when they were being made,, maybe ya cudda gotten a "marred" one from there back in the day :lol: )

What, specifically, is bad about yours? I find it hard to believe that that crossmember could rust away and the accompanying frame around it is still OK. Your best bet would be to find another rear frame; there's still quite a few around. The rear frame horns in that other link won't help you if that crossmember is actually the extent of your rot.

Back in the days when I raced '60s-vintage Goats, when we got hp and torque above maybe about the 400 level (not hard to do back then), the rear upper control arms would rip that upper crossmember loose from the frame. We were always having to weld it back in. Never did get around to welding in reinforcement braces before the bodies were junk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Floor pan brace

Dan,

I think I know what your talking about. The brace your talking about is in front of the rear wheels and supports the rear of the floor pan for the smugglers box area, and the front part of the rear bed panel. I have the same problem with my '71. I have all the braces but that one and cannot find it anywhere. I don't know the name and haven't checked the salvage yards yet, but it would probably cost me $300+ if I can find one there, so I'm probably going to have to either fabricate, or replace the entire bed floor that comes with all the braces just for that one brace.

Dan

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
In regard to the fit of hoods, I had a '73 Elco that the hood fit was perfect. Then I had a '76 SS with a fairly good hood fit. Then I bought another new one, a '77 Classic. The hood arch didn't match the fenders at all. Had to adjust it for a happy (?) medium. The '77 was built in Fremont Ca, the others were built in Texas. So the 'glass hoods are not the only ones with a crappy fit. At least the glass hoods can be altered to fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts