El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking on chevyasylum.com when they fixed up the interior of the red el camino they painted the dash and vinyl pieces.. how well does this work and how long does it take? is there anything for the fabric on the seats? and whatshould i use to clean up my dirty engine compartment ?? would plain old engine degreaser work ???? You guys are smart i thought you would know if anyone would...

THANKS IN ADVANCE :D :D :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
sexy84 said:
... what should i use to clean up my dirty engine compartment ?? would plain old engine degreaser work
The engine cleaner at the coin operated car wash was useless on mine. I picked up two cans of spay Gunk and they did job. Nasty stuff but it works.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I've used Oven Cleaner. It works best on a hot engine. I generally use the power washer at the car wash and just try not to shoot it directly at the distrubitor or breather. If you have the Computer controlled engine then you might consider just a good engine cleaner or just Oven Cleaner. Remember Oven Cleaner is costic. It will absoultly blister you if it splashes on you and you don't get it off pretty quick.

Once the engine is clean then you need to keep it cleen and it will not be so hard to do next time. For stubborn stuff sometimes the best thing is Car Wash or Power Washer. Don't use either on the paint (outside of the truck) use something like a garden hose and car wash or some very mild dish soap at the most. If you use dish soap then wax directly after. Dish soap is made to remove grease and baked on grease. It removes most all the wax too.

·
Registered
636 Posts
sexy84 said:
and whatshould i use to clean up my dirty engine compartment ??
I've always used Simple Green (full strength) to clean up dirty engines. Gunk also makes a good product! Just be careful around the distributor.

...You guys are smart i thought you would know if anyone would...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Castrol super clean is the best. Oven cleaner is OK if the part is bare metal but it can remove paint. It also removes anodizing from aluminum.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Stay with products that are made for cleaning engines.

Oven Cleaner....Very very careful with this stuff!! It will work and remove the motor grease etc, but it will also remove sometimes more than you want. This stuff is a killer on any painted areas!! Make sure your fenders are full covered as you don't want this cleaner to come in contact with your paint finish. I don't care what type of wax you have on your car for protection as it will eat right through that also in seconds! Why take a chance? :?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Will that gunk stuff take the paint off of my engine?.. the paint is still stock so it might come off pretty easy, but it's been on there for 30 some years..

WROR

·
Registered
492 Posts
Gunt will not remove the paint on your engine.

I have tried different brands of engine degreaser and found that Auto Zone's own name brand they sell works great! It is cheaper than Gunt or some of the other name brands. It was a surprize to me to find that one out.

I hate the Auto Zone that is close to my home as they have NOTHING I ever want in that store. If your not driving a Civic they don't have it. I went in there once to buy a simple return spring for my carb....

AZ..."Return spring, whats that?"

Me...(I'm thinking to my self, dam some of these younger kids have no clue) "No Honda's don't use return springs but my 1970 Chevy does, do you know or remember what a carb is??!!"

AZ..."Oh we don't carry things like that"

But they have good engine cleaner! :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes you can paint your interior. Any good auto paint store will have color charts for every manufacturer. You can pick any color you want. Interior paint is usually called vinyl dye. It comes in spray cans and they will mix any quanity.
I have used it many times and it works on vinyl, carpet, and cloth.
I have a couple of photos of my ElCamino on my website. The car used to be brown with a camel colored interior. Check it out at www.artesianradiator.com/elcamino.

·
1,867 Posts
Car parts stores have a selection of colors that work pretty good . The most important thing is the prep.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Haven't tried the oven cleaner but haven't had a need to. After my engine was done, I started using the car wash engine cleaner about once a month just to wash off the normal dust and dirt. If I find that I need to be a bit more aggressive in removing any crud I usually get out the spray bottle of Greased Lightning and a couple of different scrub brushes. I can clean any heavy areas at the house using the garden hose, then head to the car wash for the pressure cleaning. About every 6 months or so I borrow the pressure washer from work and do the underside of the car. I hate having to work under the car and have dirt falling in my face when trying to get something fixed. When I bought the car I cleaned the engine bay area with live steam and hot water fed directly from a boiler. Once you get everything cleaned up it will be easy to keep it that way. It also makes it easy to spot those inevitable leaks that appear now and then. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts