El Camino Central Forum banner

Functional blower scoop or 2in cowl hood

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is nick and i had a question regarding blower scoops, i have a 78 El Camino with a 305, and intend to keep it all original(engine, interior ect), just custom. I am building this engine to make 300+ horses. The only problem is that i have hood clearance issues and am not adding a power adder. This is all going to be a bolt on pack. i have a 14in by 2in air cleaner thats touching the bottom of my hood. i personally would love to get a 2in cowl but funds don't allow at the moment. I was thinking of adding a blower scoop with the 3 butterfly inlets because,quite frankly, its cool and cheap compared to spending almost 500$ for a steel cowl. I'm just curious if this is a no-no in the hot rodding world to have a scoop without a blower. i wouldn't want to shame my elky by having it called a poser. Does anyone have any pictures or ideas to help me??? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
I like the cowl hood look!!!! Thats what I have on mine except it's fiberglass, no problems.
Donny

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is the air cleaner you're using a drop base (the base recessed that allows the air cleaner to sit lower). If not that may be all you need to solve the hood clearance issue.

As far as the scoop are you planning on running without a hood? As far as I recall the scoop you’re talking about is probably taller than the air cleaner you currently have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, the air cleaner I have is in fact a drop base. I know the blower scoop is taller by about 3 to 4 in. I would have to cut the hood but I really don't mind I,m eventually going to get a cowl ind. but the wife won't allow me to spend so much on a hood now. So that being said I don't mind cutting a hole in the hood for a scoop I just don't like cutting a hole for the round air cleaner.:dontknow:

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
Run it without a hood! Lol if you wanna keep it ALL original don't hack up that hood if it's the original one, maybe look for one on craigslist, I've seen a couple cowl hoods on craigslist so you just gotta look and get lucky

I bought my cowl hood new and it was a ton lol but I love the look so it's all good in my book

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Those Mr Gasket fake injection scoops are famous for a few things,,

ONE the fake buterflies operate off the carb linkage, and it puts everything in a bind. Throttle sticking wide open is a regular issue with them.

Second, they have this STUPID little 4.5" diameter x 1.5" tall air cleaner stuffed inside of it. It is a major MAJOR restriction.

Third your driving down the road and it begins to rain. First than that happens is the silly 4.5" paper filter gets soaked and air flow becomes almost non-existant. So you pull over and remove the filter just so the car will run (IF it motors doesn't totally choke and die).

You can just imagine how well that works out....

Do yourself a favor. Put the stock intake and air cleaner back on before you waste a penny on the fake bug catcher.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'd try to be patient...the wife will come around eventually. ; )

You can always resell the original hood to recooperate some of the funds, though it might take a bit of time to find the right buyer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Put the stock intake and air cleaner back on before you waste a penny on the fake bug catcher. X2 and save your pennys for the steel cowl

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Nick,
Greetings! If you want to go custom on your aircleaner, give this website a try: ramairbox.com
They sort of specialize in cold air tube systems ranging from mild to ??? They do tend to be a bit pricey and they are in Canada (maybe all air is cold up there). I have purchased some items from them and they are quick and helpful. If you are curious about the flow of aircleaners, navigate from the home page thusly.....Home....Parts.....Flow Tests It is sort of nifty to see what they found some setups to flow.
Craig

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have an extra stock hood here in Ft Worth if you're interested in it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wiithout a power outer don't bother. Get an Edelbrock air cleaner with the open sides. I've goot that on top of my edelbrock intake manifold and edelbrock carb and it fits well. Even with the custom chevy bowtie nut on top of the air cleaner ;)

5th gen btw...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, Marv D i didn't know that about the Mr gasket scoops, in that case ill just save up and try to convince the wife to let me buy a new hood another of the items i was interested in is the Spectre Performance Modular Air Intake Systems. Would this air cleaner really make a difference in terms of cold air? is it worth it?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome to tha hood, Nick :texas:
the fake bug catcher looks like a fake bug catcher.. dont do it..:yell:
there are 1/2",, 1",,and 2" drop bases,,check around..
let us know what intake/carb you are runnin??
there are bolt on cowl hood scoops.. lot cheeper and fast..
and fiberglass cowl hoods,,but the fit is not allways good..

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
you know nobody mention a "Ram Air" systems. http://www.ramairbox.com/product.html

oh,I'de go with the 2 in. scoop for clearnce for the air cleaner,and don't get a "Bug Catcher" its pointless.:dontknow::beer:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for your input jjlt1 I have a 1in drop base and it's touching the top of the throttle lever I'm running a stock intake 2 bbl with a stupid adaptor and a summit 600 cfm carb but I've already ordered the edlebrock rpm air gap which I heard is pretty high and I plan on getting a thicker air cleaner once I get it so ya still with clearance issues

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
yep,,it says the airgap is 3/4" taller,,but if u loose the adapter(1"??) u may gain a 1/4"..
sometimes u can lift the back of the hood just a touch..

http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66808/10002/-1 proform 2-1/4"drop..
These bases work with nearly every carburetor application including carburetors with electric choke.
i noticed jegs drop bases only fit holleys,,time to break out the ford tool (bfh)..:texas:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Good lord, installing that air gap intake was a pain. With the adaptar out of the way I had barley enough to make the hood close but it is. It's denting the hood but I will make good with it for now I want the cowl but it's 600 with shipping I just might go with a scoop meintras, meanwhile I've decided and I will supercharge it within the year hopefully by august either that or add a nitrous kit. Just a nice power adder :nanawrench:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts