El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the body/frame bushings in my 5th gen today. Spent about 45 minutes doing each side - hour and a half total. I was working at a leisurely pace, not difficult at all.

The center one under the door is screwy - had to leave sleeve and washer off.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Did any bolts NOT come out?? I would say if it was a Salt belt car they would not be done as easy,, did you run into any major issues or problems?? Matty man

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They all came out! I said a prayer!

The only pain in the butt part is when you have to look up in there to center the washer, you can get an eye full of crap. It is dark, and if you use goggles, it is too dark to see.

·
Registered
358 Posts
What's the bennie?

The only pain in the butt part is when you have to look up in there to center the washer, you can get an eye full of crap. It is dark, and if you use goggles, it is too dark to see.
Hi, Just curious, what's the benefit? The old ones were shot, or will it improve the handling? I've got an '87, just wanted to know if a worthwhile project that'll help,...
- George

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably not a whole lot of benefit. Some people swear that it makes the vehicle "tighter".

My cruck was sagging pretty badly, and I needed a little clearance for my wheel/tire combo. The factory ones are rubber, and depending on their condition the new polyurethane ones can give you a 1/2 in or so.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi, Just curious, what's the benefit? The old ones were shot, or will it improve the handling? I've got an '87, just wanted to know if a worthwhile project that'll help,...
- George
I did the same on my 80 last year. Although the exterior rubber looked good, I found most of the bushings had greatly deteriorated in the center. My car was a Texas resident most of its life therefore every bolt came out without heat or penetrant. Signifigant handling difference since , kinda like cornering on rails compared to before.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Mine sags a little on the drivers side rear replaced the springs but didn't help. Could it be the body bushings?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the previous owner weigh 500 lbs? Kidding. The springs are notorious for giving up - but not giving up at the same rate/time.

I'd swap driver and pass side rear springs and see if there is a change. Might be a clue as to whether you have a front or rear spring issue.

·
932 Posts

That is amazing I have taken body bolts off a few el caminos and never had one go smoothly ,always rusted bolts which half break .

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is amazing I have taken body bolts off a few el caminos and never had one go smoothly ,always rusted bolts which half break .
The bolts were great, two literally looked brand new except for the rust on the heads.

Well I was 12 for 12 on the ElCo - When I did my Grand National I was 11 for 12. The one glitch there was a rusty cage nut spinning inside the body.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Did the previous owner weigh 500 lbs? Kidding. The springs are notorious for giving up - but not giving up at the same rate/time.

I'd swap driver and pass side rear springs and see if there is a change. Might be a clue as to whether you have a front or rear spring issue.
will do.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Body bushing change

I'm having a lot of problems with my 82 GMC. Only one nut spun in the cage, left rear. I'm having a hard time getting the old bushings and internal sleves out. Guess I could remove all bolts and jack the body up, last ditch effort.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Body bushing change

Finally got all changed. Number three, under the door, has a different type of fastner. It's almost like a funnel with the threads in the small end. The instructions said to use the 2 1/2 in washer with a 7/16 in hole on top. The funnel type nut wouldn't fit through the washer so I bored it out to 3/4 in and it fit. The nut that spun in the cage, I jacked the body up and kept pressure on it and it finally gave up and I got the bolt out. Didn't have any problem installing the bolt, the cage nut must have jammed up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Were you able to replace all of them by just jacking up the body off the frame a little and leave everything in tact? I looked at my 87 and thought "wow this isn't going to be easy".

Thanks

Carl

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
ebay, summit racing, jegs, gbody parts.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts