El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a newbie to ECC, but newbie to putting in stereo from scratch....working on son's 64, almost road ready. He picked up some stereo equip that will mimic my set up in 66. My question is about hooking up head unit power to fuse panel. The instructions for the Kenwood deck have a yellow(battery) and red(power) wire that seem to go to fuse panel....but where should I put them? I will put in line fuses on them as well (10 amp??). I just wanna make sure I do this correctly so we dont get any blown fuses, dead battery, fire, etc.......Other than that, everything else is pretty straight forward I believe. BTW, 2 pioneer 10's in box behind seat w/pioneer amp, 2 pioneer 5.5 coax on top of box angled forward, 2 sony 4x6 in vents, under kick panels, Kenwood head unit. Any advice would be great, since instructions dont seem to be tailored to vehicles that are almost 50 years old.

·
Registered
445 Posts
ok so the yellow goes to constant power and the red is switched power and of course black is ground hope this helps

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rigsboo, that does help....so I just need to find where in the fuse panel is always hot for yellow and one that is hot when car is on for red...correct? I have the fuse panel w/single row of(unmarked) fuses, then spade term on other side. Easy enough to put spade term on, but what about tapping into the fuse that is constant hot, I dont think any of the spade terms are constant, but I will check again, that would make life easy. Any ideas for safe, clean hook up?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have used the cigar lighter for constant. Do you not have the factory wiring to use the existing radio power for the switched? It would already be connected to the accessory side of the ignition switch. You may not need to add fuses. The last few radios I installed had a built in fuse on the back of the head unit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is no stereo in it at the moment, so I don't know about original wiring. I think the head unit does have a fuse in the back, I just don't want a fire! As far as the ACC wire on the back of ignition switch, I have no clue, I would have to get under there and try to figure out which wire is which. If you know which wire would be ACC that I could tap into, that would be great, other wise, I was gonna run a wire for switched power to spade terminal on fuse panel.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Go find it on the fuse panel for tge ignition and run a,new battery wire if it has the original harness its pretty old wires running to that panel

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car is rockin, thanks for the input everyone, was straight forward and pretty easy, just time consuming. I will post pix down the road, thanks again for the info, as always, you guys are the best:You_Rock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts