El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked and can't seem to find the post. For 1 spin of the tire its 3.25 spins of the driveshaft. What gear ratio?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Should be a 3.25. But they dont make 3.25 i dont think. You probably got a 3.11. Gears common are (2.41, 2.73, 3.11, 3.42, 3.73, 4.11)
You are in between 3.11&3.42. Ill guess you got 3.11's. 3.42's are almost 3.5 turns of the driveshaft, 3.11's are 3.11 turns.

They say you are suppose to turn the wheel 10 times and put a piece of tape at the start of your revolutions on the drive shaft and lets say you got 34 turns of the DS with 10 spins of the tire, you divide 34(Driveshaft spins) by 10( tire rotations)= 3.4 which is a 3.42 gears. You wont get the exact number by countin so you got to know the gear ratios. Its hard to count .2 of a turn!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isn't there a 3.23? It's a carrier form an 02 camaro.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Joewwy, I think he was trying to reference what some of the most common gears are for our application. Getting one from a far newer vintage Camaro does open it up a good bit. Yes, I believe they put 3.23 gears in the 02 Camaro's, and that is then very likely what ratio you do have. Are you using this to get the speedometer correct or for upgrading?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joewwy, I think he was trying to reference what some of the most common gears are for our application. Getting one from a far newer vintage Camaro does open it up a good bit. Yes, I believe they put 3.23 gears in the 02 Camaro's, and that is then very likely what ratio you do have. Are you using this to get the speedometer correct or for upgrading?
I'm doing the rear disc setup and using the carrier as well, found the whole rear end. My current is 2.56.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the 323 was used in all of the3 and 4 gen camaros and you could order them in the elco as a dealer option

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rear out of an 02 Camaro for your El Camino? Are you welding in different perches or do they match up?
oh no, I'm taking the carrier and rear brakes off and throwing into the camino. It's a 7.5 28 spline so i'll have to hunt down some new axles.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
To be positive of what ratio you have pull the inspection cover and count the number of teeth on the ring gear and the penion gear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
3.23 was the optional gear in the automatic V8 Camaros 1994-2002.

oh no, I'm taking the carrier and rear brakes off and throwing into the camino. It's a 7.5 28 spline so i'll have to hunt down some new axles.
I've heard stock 8.5 1984-1987 Buick/Olds axles work for that swap. Guess I should get off my butt, pull some parts and go verify. :yell:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the gn axles will go in our 7.5 rears and the 7.5/8 parts will go right on our 7.5 carriers of the same serries. the difference is in the ring gears outside dia. not the inner.i have mixed and matched them for 30 yrs. the elco is 26 spline and the gn is 28 like the camoro/s10/astro.some of the early s 10 s were 26 spline but thier carriers are getting hard to find

1 - 16 of 16 Posts