El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats is this called and does it take a gasket or sealant. I tightened the bolt but not super tight and it is leaking way more than when it was loose. Not super loose but it was easy to turn when tightening. It's on the passenger side of the trans THE BLACK ONE WITH THE SCREW.
Thanks

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
HKDUP,
That is your kickdown/tv cable going into the transmission. It commonly uses a tapered o-ring that seals with the tightening of the bolt. If you had dirt or grime under it from when it was loose, then it wouldn't have sealed up when you cranked the bolt down. Might be able to replace just the o-ring, but it might be easier to just buy a cable assembly for less than $20. Not sure....others will chime in on the most viable option.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think it is called the de-tint cable if if is it has a o-ring. when you remove bolt it will have a cable that hooks in tranny. Most of the time you have to drop pan and you will see where hooks when cable is dropped unhook and then put on o-ring slide back in hole tighten bolt. then put tranny pan back. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that it is what kicks in passing gear. When you go to get o-ring the yo-yo behind the parts counter will know if not his computer will show it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't take the pan off before looking at it first!! That's alot of extra work and you only need to take the pan off if the metal wire inside has dropped down into the trans. You can work the wire off the end of the kickdown/tv/detent cable (call it what you will) without dropping the pan.

Ok do I disconnect it from the carb. linkage then take the bolt off the trans and slide it up the cable and change the O ring or do I need to keep it tight so the end of the cable inside the trans doesn't drop off inside??

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
tv cable :texas:
with all these leaks starting lately,, you might check the vent pipe, if a 200-4r has one..:dontknow:
we have a lot of dirt dobbers around here, and i have to put a screen over my vents..

·
0 Posts
Ok do I disconnect it from the carb. linkage then take the bolt off the trans and slide it up the cable and change the O ring or do I need to keep it tight so the end of the cable inside the trans doesn't drop off inside??
You don't have to disconnect it from the carb to change the o ring. Just loosen the bolt,grab the hook in the trans with some needle nose pliers so it doesn't snap back into the trans,and be prepared for some fluid to spew out. Get a catch pan for the fluid to drain in.
All that does not require dropping the pan if you can see and feel your way around.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't have to disconnect it from the carb to change the o ring. Just loosen the bolt,grab the hook in the trans with some needle nose pliers so it doesn't snap back into the trans,and be prepared for some fluid to spew out. Get a catch pan for the fluid to drain in.
All that does not require dropping the pan if you can see and feel your way around.

Of course I can see everything I have the fender well off:poke::poke:

Thanks Branden:texas::texas:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I was going to use the peel and seal stuff, and got hounded by my elders and bought this stuff called b-quiet specifically made for cars. BIG MISTAKE. It's a big role of sticky rubber, and if you get it on anything, especially upholstery it's a pain to get out. I used the peel and seal in a caprice and it worker great and formed to everything.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to use the peel and seal stuff, and got hounded by my elders and bought this stuff called b-quiet specifically made for cars. BIG MISTAKE. It's a big role of sticky rubber, and if you get it on anything, especially upholstery it's a pain to get out. I used the peel and seal in a caprice and it worker great and formed to everything.
Well what can I say. It's hard to tell with all the crap they sell but on tv it's the best. If other members see from more than one but still buy the expensive brand name what can you say also except man that looks great:dontknow::beer:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just replaced mine tonight. PITA if I must say so myself. The original was broken when we took the transmission out initially. I purchased the Pioneer Brand from Oreillys CA-1981. It had a gasket on the end that you are referring to. I took the gasket off and place it in the hole. I then pulled the needle out of the transmission and held it out with one hand while fishing it through the hole of the dent cable end. Got it connected and wiggle it on with some persuasion of course. Tighten down the bolt and job well done.

Marvin

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
Robert, be sure to get all the old gasket out before installing the new one.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
This TV cable has a "hat" seal. Disconnect the cable at the carb. Don't do anything more than unsnap the very end off the carb so the cable has slack. Then go under the car and unbolt the cable housing. Pull it out and you'll easily be able unhook the cable from the wire coming out of the trans. Remove the old hat seal, make sure it's clean around the opening, install the new seal into the hole NOT onto the cable housing, re-hook cable to wire, slide cable housing back into hole, install the 10mm bolt, go back upstairs and pull on the cable to insure it's hooked up and not snagging anything, then snap the end back on the carb. That's it, your done. :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Robert, be sure to get all the old gasket out before installing the new one.
Mike and Mike:poke:

Is it an o ring or a gasket? I have an O ring kit with different sizes but if it's a special gasket what do I ask for? TV cable gasket? This sucker is leaking big time.
Thanks

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
Mike and Mike:poke:

Is it an o ring or a gasket? I have an O ring kit with different sizes but if it's a special gasket what do I ask for? TV cable gasket? This sucker is leaking big time.
Thanks
IIRC, It is a specially shaped sealing devise- not an o-ring, and not a gasket. IIRC, it is tapered more like a plumbing fitting.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,953 Posts
Robert,
if you are going to do a lot of work yourself ! I would suggest you get the GM Parts & Illustration catalog ! :dontknow:
I'm guessing you have the 200-4R

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IIRC, It is a specially shaped sealing devise- not an o-ring, and not a gasket. IIRC, it is tapered more like a plumbing fitting.
Great lets see if I can find this or monday I know the owner of a trans shop down here and he can tell me where to get it. Glad I asked someone said o-ring and if I had it all apart i would have gone (never mind):nanawrench:
Thanks Mike & Mike

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Robert re-read my post. I told you what type of seal it is in the first sentence. After that I gave you step-by-step directions from beginning to end. That one post tells you everything you need to know to do the job. It's not a gasket or o-ring. In the industry techs call it a "hat seal". :beer:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts