El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 caballero that i recently upgraded the 350 in, to the edelbrock performer rpm kit. Now the issue has arrived with the valve covers sitting higher than stock. Is there anything out there to fix this? Aftermarket or even in-dash a/c unit that would actually fit and work correctly?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Easiest/cheapest way that a lot of guys use is to trim the offending corner of the evaporator box and then re-fiberglass the hole for the needed clearance.

I'm using a Hot Rod Air unit in mine that works well but the company is out of buisness, I understand a lot of folks like the Vintage air unit.

With the cost of an aftermarket unit along with the block-off plate and drip pan you will need, trimming the box starts to look very very good.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I think you mean your compressor won't clear the higher valve cover? Change the valve covers. I have a set of chrome ones with "chevrolet" in black letters and an orange bowtie from summit. Fit nice, look nice, and everything fits.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
If you're talking about clearance for the compressor, I've got an 87 with a set of roller rockers in my 406 so I had to use tall valve covers. The manifold for the A/C compressor just fits. What a bit#h it was to change the belt. And if I have to pull that valve cover for any reason the A/C system gets emptied because there is 3/16'' clearance between the A/C manifold and the top of the valve cover with the A/C compressor adjusted out as far as it will go. But other than that it works. If you have the big ass compressor on your car maybe you could get the smaller one to work.
Ang.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Let us know what your having clearance issues with. The compressor or A/C box. If compressor you might look into the F body serpentine conversion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a/c compressor wouldnt mount due to the tall valve covers. now the that the serpentine conversion has been brought to my attention i cant really find exactly what im suppose to be looking for. HELP ANYONE. i jsut wanna drive her one time. i been having so many issues since january and it sucks bumming rides and still investing money into something on a budget.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think you are talking about the bracket that supports the compressor. Easy fix is to get a longer bold and then add a few washers or bolts between the bracket and where it screws into the intake to move the bracket connection higher. I have the tall valve covers on my 350 and with this method have no problem with clearance.
:texas:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found this on another forum what do you think?

I run an 89 4.3 V-6 set up on my 76 350. All bolts lined up and it was a bolt on. I used a thermostat housing from a 90 or 91 Chevy V-8 to get it to feed behind the alternator. I had to flip my hose as the radiator I was using is from a 73 A body and the inlet was bigger. Hose lies over the left valve cover and I have not had any overheating issues yet. The only thing I can see is the V-6 versus the V-8 set up is how the accessories sit. The donor car/truck you get it from will either be a high and closer set up as in a van or blazer, the V-8 set up will be lower and wider. Either version will fit in a G body without hood clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The conversion I was referring to comes from the 88(?) up Camaro and Firebirds with V8's. Similar to the truck V6 and V8 set ups but sit a bit lower and wider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Elky 83 i hope you dont mind but a snagged a couple of you pics to compare. yeah you have the short a/c comp mines is the huge one. by the way my friend just texted me after i sent him what i needed from your page and said "im not much for elcos but dam that thing looks good". i whole-heartedly concur with my friend. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts