El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a shop setup my air conditioning using the R 134 freon. I asked them to flush out the system, which they didn't do. Before I took it there I had already changed the canister and valve so there wasn't any pressure from the R 12 that was in it. In your opinion do I need to flush the system out or just add more R 134 freon. The system isn't cooling where I can feel it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
What do you mean by had a shop set up your a/c using R134?
Did you request them to do a " complete Conversion" for you?
Changed the canister? Do you mean the accumulator/dryer?
The entire system needs to be flushed. Different types of oil are used/required when converting from R12 to R134.
If you do a search you will find many articles about converting from r12 to r134.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
It appears that as stated above, the old oil for R12 is still in the system. It is not compatible with R134A refrigerant and should have been removed.

In the long run, your compressor will suffer premature wear.

Did they change over to modern "barrier" hoses?

And R134A needs a modern parallel flow condenser for best operation.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a 134 condenser and compressor on myself. What do I use to flush it out with? Thank you for your help, it’s much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
There is a specialty fluid that dries leaving no residue that is used for these flushes. I can get you the product name tonight. Blow the lines clear using and very dry shop air or dry nitrogen. Doing this to the condenser is probably pointless.

Did you replace the receiver drier or the desiccant bag in the accumulator?

Did you adjust the expansion valve for R134A?

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I flushed mine. Changed all the orings to green. Changed the accumulator and orface for 134a. Mine is stock 1979 equipment. Now I have been in 90° sun and it worked fine. I used this. Needed 2 cans.
Tom
Liquid Fluid Drink Bottle Plastic bottle
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I made the change back in 2003. I replaced the green O rings also, but I didn't charge up the system with freon until 2019. Here's a picture of the accumulation tank I put on.
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Gas Automotive fuel system

I also remember putting on a little square box in the same area, but I couldn't find it today. I changed the compressor at the same time.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If it worked in 2019 and not now it could be as B52 said and leaked out through the old hoses. For around $50 at Harbor freight you can get guages. I was an electrical contractor, but it didn’t take me long to figure out this a/c. Since you didn’t flush your orface could be plugged. The orface is where the small line connects to you evaporator. Now I have a soft ice cream machine with 410a and I need help.
Tom

·
Premium Member
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It never really worked in 2019. It blew air out of the defroster vent but wasn’t very cool. I changed the tubing so it would blow out of the middle dash vents and on the floor. It never did cool like it should. On a hot day you couldn’t hardly feel cool air. i don’t think it had the pressure it needed to work properly. That’s the reason I’m asking the question, if I should clean the system due to the fact that the shop I took it to didn’t clean it. I also need to find out if it needs more Freon and if it’s safe to charge it up or do I need to clean it first and start over?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
That is your choice. I would take it to a trust worthy guy and ask him. Ask your buddy’s at the Napa store. I’m telling you the old stuff works when done right. My 79 took 3-12oz cans and a little. About 40 oz. I am in NJ for the summer but when I left Florida on May 31 my a/c worked fine the weekend before in Gainesville.
Tom

·
Premium Member
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friends at the NAPA store are selling their store, so I’ll have to check with another shop in town. Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
As said before to several others ,go to a reputable ac mechanic and get it done right ! If you don't you will be forever chasing problems !! There is no cost cutting when it comes to getting your air up and running.Putting a new part on and ignoring others will just fail the new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
I don't think any of us want to see anyone stumble down the wrong path to repair something. I have found most of the time its just good to let a pro do what we don't know to do . That said, please don't think I am trying to say you don't know what you're doing ,just trying to jog our brains down the right path Good luck on your endeavor .
Wayne

·
Premium Member
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I appreciate your thoughts and help. I’ve had some problems with some of the shops not doing what they were asked to do. This is one of those times, where the shop was ask to clean out the system before charging with the R 134 Freon.This El Camino has taught me how to fix mistakes that others have made . I figured that happened so I could learn how to make it better. This has happened in body work, rear end work, transmission and engine work. I’m not against anyone, just trying to get ideas on how to make sure it’s right and nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like some of the others have said, it's the type of oil that is the problem. Each type of refrigerant requires its own type of oil, and the oils are not compatible with each other. If mixed, they can cause jelling or other issues that can plug up your system. If your conversion was done back in 2019, it may be too late to reverse the damage. You could start with flushing the system and recharge it. Your compressor will need to be removed and drained of any old oil in the system, flushed, and then refilled with the proper amount of new oil. The accumulator or filter/drier should be replaced also. To tell how the system is working, you need to have a set of gauges connected to the system.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Why don't you check with some of the guys in a local street rod club . Sometimes the guys that work on the new "plastic" cars don't know squat about our older cars and don't like working on them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts