El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey eveybody, I have a question. I own a 78 caballero, and I've recently started an engine swap. The original 231 V6 had a R4 compressor on the passanger side. The V8 big brother of that year seems to have two different compressors the R4 fat & short(radial), and the A6 long & skinny(axial).

Of course I'd like to save some dough, so if I can use my current R4 that would be sweet. The problem I'm running into is the brackets for the R4 compressor. The V6 brackets will not work. I did find some brackets on ebay, but I think this kit might be missing the outter support.

I found this picture in the forums and it seems like I'm going to need the outter support(#7) to bolt the bracket to??

I do have a generic haynes manual, but the pictures are horrible. They are mostly of a V6, showing any bracketry. Probably need to invest in the OEM manual. If anyone has this year with A/C and could shoot a few photos, I'd greatly appreciate it!! :beer:

The condenser seems like it is also different. The V8 connections are on the drivers side, where the V6 connections are on the passanger. Can you simply just flip the condenser to place these connections on the drivers side??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am going to be putting headers on this engine, and I've seen threads on similar setups having problem gaining clearance to header bolts for this outter(rear) support bracket. So that is also a concern, I was hoping for some help with. Thanks again in advance!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You can use a serpentine brackets and leave the current compressor on the pass side. Youmay have to bend the lines slightly or use V8 AC lines from a Cutlass or Regal with a 307.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response! I've looked at some possible serpentine donor cars, but many call out for 3 bolt holes in the passanger side head for mounting purposes. I only have 1 upper hole in mine that was used to hold the alt support. Do you happen to know what years might be compatible. Thanks for your time!:beer:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Only one bolt in the passenger head is absoluteley necessary.

But, just to be on the safe side, I drilled & tapped the second hole near the intake.
No big deal---took about 20 minutes.

Transfer punch
5/16" drill bit (can even start with 1/8")
3/8x16 tap-----need a plug tap AND a bottom tap for a blind hole
drill about 3/4", tap with the plug tap----finish with the bottom tap

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bryan! I am still trying to figure this one out. I personally would like to do the serpentine setup. The problem I'm facing besides not having the accesory holes in the passanger side head; is that the head itself isn't a 350 it's a 305 head on a 350 block. Not sure if the same tolerances apply to this head, and I'm afraid I'll drill into a water jacket in the head. I really don't want to be coating bolts with RTV and hoping there are no restrictions in coolant travel. Also it seems I don't have a flat pad to drill into on that corner of the head. I would have to build the metal out a little bit, or put washers to make the difference on that location. I'm not sure, figured this wouldn't be such a pain to match up a bracket pulley solution. :banghead:

The cast number for the heads are(14014416) and design(Saddle and Vertical Bar) on the heads appear to be from a 305 ("Late-model 305, conventional valve covers, intake port not restricted; lightweight; 57cc chamb")

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
There must be brackets for the A6 out there. Any chevy/gmc pickup, blazer, suburban from the 70-80's with the A6 used the same brackets. I had headers on my 76 blazer with an A6 and everything fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts