El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I was looking into getting black stipes put on my 83 El Camino. I was wondering how much this would cost and where to get them. I want to just do decals instead of actually painting them on. I was looking for the chevelle stipes like older El Caminos had. If anyone can help me out that would be great. Here is the car I'm putting them on, looks good but I need a new set of keystones

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Like this?
These are painted.
For paint I'd have to get about $350 prep, laying out the stripe, masking the rest of the car, painting, polishing and washing.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Maybe this will help...

These are layed out with 3/4" masking tape down the center line of the hood, 2 strips on each side of the body line. One line of tape along the outer hood lines. One line of 3/4 tape along the front of the header. Then with 3M fine line tape in 1/8" along the edge of the masking tape. You could even use a spray can to fill them in.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Mine are painted on as well

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i just painted mine in jan a dark charcoal and was thinking about blach stipes simular to yours.they would be subtle.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Thanks CCC! Here's my Avitar pic enlarged. As you can see, the stripes aren't strait but tapered on the sides and then a 1/4 inch outer stripe. The outer portion of my stripes match the stepped portion of my hood. Click on it so you can see the details. :beer:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey everyone! I was looking into getting black stipes put on my 83 El Camino. I was wondering how much this would cost and where to get them. I want to just do decals instead of actually painting them on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
I owned and operated a sign shop for 17 years up until a couple years ago. I did a lot of vinyl decals and striping for vehicles. Any good sign shop should be able to handle your request. Just make sure you ask for a premium cast vinyl rated at 9 years or better to be used. Horizontal applications get the most sunlight an UV's so this is very important unless you want them to curl up on you in a short time.

Price-wise, if I was to do them, you would be looking at $40-$60 in materials, and at my shop-rate of $75/hour, I would need an hour to mock-up and cut the stripes, and an hour to install. I would have you out the my driveway about $200 lighter in your pocket, and your camino looking really sharp!

One caveat though, it needs to be properly washed and prepped for the decals to get the maximum life expectancy out of them. This means a thorough wash with a mild detergent. Then a cleaning of the surface with a quality PSV (pressure sensitive vinyl) prep solution followed by a wipe-down with a quality PSV application fluid. Now you are ready for quality decal application. Add another 1/2 hour if its not washed properly.

Surprisingly, most customers would show up for a decal application without thoroughly clean their vehicle for me, and my time is money, and if you wanted me to guarantee the work, it needed to be done to be done properly. Just think about it. Would you go to the dentist without brushing you teeth first?

I haven't thought about it before I saw your post, but I still have my shop and all materials and equipment setup and could do these for you (minus the install as I am in Canada). Its also got me thinking maybe I should do a set for my 79 which is nearly the same as yours. I could also make up SS decals just to pose my 79 as one if I so wanted.

Hope these details help you out! .....Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts