El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a rack & pinion steering conversion on Car I. D. .com and was wondering if anyone has installed one and what if any problems you had. My El Camino is a 1985 with stock steering/front end suspension.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You would be better off installing a new Lee 14:1 800 Series box with a 30 pound valve.. Then swap out the upper control arms for a set of SPC adjustables from SC&C. They install custom made .9 tall Howe ball joints in those arms. Makes a very big difference. I highly recommend going all the way and getting the Stage III package. But it will take some time. Best to order six or seven months ahead of time...

From what I understand its best to install the whole sub frame that was designed for the rack.. After all the issues are in the suspension not the linkage..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would be better off installing a new Lee 14:1 800 Series box with a 30 pound valve.. Then swap out the upper control arms for a set of SPC adjustables from SC&C. They install custom made .9 tall Howe ball joints in those arms. Makes a very big difference. I highly recommend going all the way and getting the Stage III package. But it will take some time. Best to order six or seven months ahead of time...

From what I understand its best to install the whole sub frame that was designed for the rack.. After all the issues are in the suspension not the linkage..
Thanks for the advice. Will Jegs or Summit have this or maybe Eckler's ?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Buy from LEE direct

I had good luck with UMI suspension. They are available from UMI Jegs or Summit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buy from LEE direct

I had good luck with UMI suspension. They are available from UMI Jegs or Summit.

thank you for the advice. I always like buying direct.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,615 Posts
I found a rack & pinion steering conversion on Car I. D. .com and was wondering if anyone has installed one and what if any problems you had. My El Camino is a 1985 with stock steering/front end suspension.
I am wondering from the perspective of a lack of knowledge about the rack and pinion system . Is the steering on the 5 th Gen in need of this system or is it some type of performance upgrade ? I see where this is done to older vehicles with older technology/parts and curious as I have not seen other 5 th Gen with it . Would enjoy seeing your install if it is done . Thanks for the info .

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The suspension gurus say you need to install the whole sub frame that the rack was designed for..

UMI is also an excellent suspension company. Just don't use poly bushings, always use spherical with delrin.. Spohn also sells excellent rear suspension control arms, make sure you use there heavy duty Del sphere bushings..

Many have been having issues with SC&C so Its a 50-50 with them. Everybody gets there parts but sometimes its months later..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts