El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how would one go about setting up for the installation of a built in radar detector?

Are there any radar detector systems that folks here would recommend?

I LOVE THE FORUMS.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
So how would one go about setting up for the installation of a built in radar detector?

Are there any radar detector systems that folks here would recommend?

I LOVE THE FORUMS.

YOU my friend.. are walking on very thin ice by opening this discussion after the last thread was closed. Just sayin..:banghead:

Reactions: sanweaver

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a nice discussion with the gentleman who closed the last thread (for reasons that still elude me) who advised me that opening a new thread was perfectly fine, as long as I avoid mentioning a choice word that I can't mention here. :confused2:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well shoot, looks like someone, obviously not me. Went and deleted the old one. Oh well!

Anyone have any insight on how to properly get this done?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
YOU my friend.. are walking on very thin ice by opening this discussion after the last thread was closed. Just sayin..:banghead:
Agreed. Everyone is entitled to their own decisions, but anything that resembles encouraging people to break the law looks bad on the Forum as a whole. While I didn't like the way it was done, I understand both sides.

I wish you luck my friend.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Matthew. Your input is always valued. As a tech guy, I thought you might be interested to know that I intend to use an old android phone (rooted and reflashed, if I can ever get it to reflash...) as my media system. In concert with a small, 2 channel amp.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
OH, I am interested. But, I also don't believe in becoming complacent by using a radar detector. I know my speed and I have trained myself to actively look for everything and be safe. I trust myself more than a radar detector. Aside from that, most departments are using many different Laser technologies and they keep getting better. Even if technology stayed the same, most agencies use the "Ambush" technique to use Laser which takes any errors out of their side an prevents the detector from being able to detect the stray misfires of the Laser.

From a technology side, I am very interested, but I know enough that it's not worth the time or the money. I've had three tickets since I started driving. All of those were due to either my inattention or relying on a radar detector.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you read what my last post was actually about? :D:alcoholic2:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Yes. I read it before it was closed and deleted.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Good idea Sanweaver, I will Hijack this thread :threadhijack:. How long has it been since your last ticket (moving violation), longest time wins. I will go next: 3 years ago for illegal left turn.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Good idea Sanweaver, I will Hijack this thread :threadhijack:. How long has it been since your last ticket (moving violation), longest time wins. I will go next: 3 years ago for illegal left turn.
LOL. 7 years ago.. And just for agoristmike, it was for speeding... 87 in a 60. I was trying to follow a group of classic and rare mustangs and I was the last guy in the pack and I assumed my radar would go off....

Had I been paying attention and had been driving safer, I wouldn't have gotten the ticket

OH... BTW, the State Trooper was kind enough to drop the ticket to 74 in a 60 because when he came to my window, I already had all of my cab lights on for his safety and told him that I deserved the ticket.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
My first speeding ticket was in 1950. I did 60 on a bridge that was posted as 15 MPH, in my '40 Lincoln Zephyr, with a V12 engine. It was way past midnight, with zero traffic.
The cop was a cool guy, and called me 'Will" while writing a ticket for a very low violation.. never forgot that.

Had a few since then though. Mostly from not paying attention.

I'm not inclined to test the cop's radar capability, so wide-open throttle runs were on a certain road in the middle of the night.
I've learned to be a good boy since those days, and cant afford fines, or having the FAA find out that I'm a speeder on the road while holding a pilot's license. Big brother stuff ya know..

I would not like getting caught for speeding while having a radar detector in my car, that I forgot to turn on
The cop may not have a good sense of humor !

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Are pilots required to hold a clean driving record like truck drivers?

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,565 Posts
1998-45mph in a 35mph. Took the DD class and avoided the points.

By the way, Radar Detectors are not illegal in most states. So, check your laws in your local area before installing. Mike, if you're in Virginia, then they are illegal. That's all I'll say about that.

However, they are perfectly legal in Texas. And Valentine One is the best.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
DISCLAIMER:
Always exhibit acceleration in a controlled environment.:blahblah::blahblah:
Under adult supervision.:blahblah::blahblah:. Never on public roads.:secret:
Always OBEY ALL traffic laws.
In the words of The Red Rocker, Sammy Hager.
This has been a public service announcement.:!:

·
Registered
348 Posts
My first and hopefully last ticket was the June first weekend. I was going 122kmh in a 90kmh trying to catch up with my dad on a road trip. The officer dropped it to 105kmh for me since I was in the camino and he said he'd love to do a trip like we were on in his 70's ford. Not bad for driving 11 years.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
you forgot to add...

The views and opinions expressed in this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NECOA.

:thumbup:

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
you forgot to add...

The views and opinions expressed in this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NECOA.

:thumbup:
Thanks buddy, I'm old and I missed my nappy-nap.:cool4::beer::You_Rock:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts