El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any links for a decent 2 fan all aluminum radiator with a heat activation sensor that will fit right into my oem 78 choo choo /malibu front end under 600$-900$ not eBay thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I'm running a radiator from Cold Case and you should call them or look them up. I'm running their aluminum two-row, 1.25 inch tube radiator. It has a tight fitting shroud with two 12 inch electric fans.

Each of those fans on my EC has its own fan controller kit - Four Seasons part number 35879. Each controller and fan has its own power, ground, relay, fuse, temperature sensor, AC compressor control wire and adjustable thermostat. This is not a Cold Case part and each controller is maybe 35 bucks

This gives complete cooling system redundancy while also allowing for separate turn on temperatures.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
The summit racing radiator I run in my '82 works pretty well I think. That paired with say a Derale electric fan shroud setup would be right around your $600 mark but would be a killer setup. I can't comment on a fan controller kit as I run the fan activation through my EFI.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The summit racing radiator I run in my '82 works pretty well I think. That paired with say a Derale electric fan shroud setup would be right around your $600 mark but would be a killer setup. I can't comment on a fan controller kit as I run the fan activation through my EFI.
Can you please explain what the EFI route would be

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds great except I would prefer one controller I wouldn’t want to make one fan faster and one slower I just want to run temperature reading
I'm running a radiator from Cold Case and you should call them or look them up. I'm running their aluminum two-row, 1.25 inch tube radiator. It has a tight fitting shroud with two 12 inch electric fans.

Each of those fans on my EC has its own fan controller kit - Four Seasons part number 35879. Each controller and fan has its own power, ground, relay, fuse, temperature sensor, AC compressor control wire and adjustable thermostat. This is not a Cold Case part and each controller is maybe 35 bucks

This gives complete cooling system redundancy while also allowing for separate turn on temperatures.

Rick

can you further explain please I would not like to run dual controllers (they sound cool) and where did you find these controllers I just want a simple thermostat controlled kit

·
Registered
693 Posts
I run a Holley Sniper to run the whole engine as Electronic Fuel Injection. When you run a computer to operate the engine, usually you can add other inputs to it like nitrous operation or cooling fan control.

I saw in the other thread you have a 350. So I'm assuming you probably have a carb and HEI distributor? Really the easiest way to get electric fans working on your setup will be to just run a dual fan controller like the above poster said. They even gave a part number that worked for them and I'd imagine you could probably order it through Summit racing or Amazon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run a Holley Sniper to run the whole engine as Electronic Fuel Injection. When you run a computer to operate the engine, usually you can add other inputs to it like nitrous operation or cooling fan control.

I saw in the other thread you have a 350. So I'm assuming you probably have a carb and HEI distributor? Really the easiest way to get electric fans working on your setup will be to just run a dual fan controller like the above poster said. They even gave a part number that worked for them and I'd imagine you could probably order it through Summit racing or Amazon.
Nice OK he did say it was a tight fit though and I’m looking for an exact fit I don’t really want to be playing Adjust the radiator and shroud zip tied out. I like and appreciate the fuel injected stuff but I got a classic to stay carbureted so definitely I think if you have more links or resources for me I appreciate any help God bless

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you want an exact fit, use this:
This is the fan and shroud setup I use and it fits well. Doesn't come with a fan controller though.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Yes, they make exact fit radiators for your vehicle. Simply call the manufacturers.

As to the fan controller kits - yes, widely available on Ebay, Amazon or Rock Auto. Very simple to install. Less than 40 bucks.

I did not go the EFI fan controller method on my LS swap because I never could get it to work. Even with a relay, I apparently did not get everything I needed from the donor vehicle for my year.

My fan controllers have been on for nearly two years and over 5000 miles with no trouble. They also work perfectly with my Classic Auto Air Conditioning system.

Kicking these fans on separately at different temperatures is also gentler to the alternator.

Rick

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the fan and shroud setup I use and it fits well. Doesn't come with a fan controller though.
What year are you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know
Yes, they make exact fit radiators for your vehicle. Simply call the manufacturers.

As to the fan controller kits - yes, widely available on Ebay, Amazon or Rock Auto. Very simple to install. Less than 40 bucks.

I did not go the EFI fan controller method on my LS swap because I never could get it to work. Even with a relay, I apparently did not get everything I needed from the donor vehicle for my year.

My fan controllers have been on for nearly two years and over 5000 miles with no trouble. They also work perfectly with my Classic Auto Air Conditioning system.

Kicking these fans on separately at different temperatures is also gentler to the alternator.

Rick

👍 good to know

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bit the bullet and purchased the kit came out to 660$ with a digital temp gauge Please tell me I can use my stock hosing that was one main thing I wanted to be able to still use

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Rick

Were you able to use stock hoseing

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Rick

Where are you able to keep your stock hoses

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
No. It is a different engine behind this Cold Case radiator. But it wasn't hard to figure out suitable new hoses.

Rick

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
201 Posts

Rick

Cold Case is the best

1 - 20 of 24 Posts