El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you all keep your original radiator? If so, did you change the relief reservoir to a closed expansion tank? Or if you kept the relief reservoir, what psi radiator cap are you using?

Thanks.

Craig

· El Camino Central Founder/Co-Founder N.E.C.O.A.
3,118 Posts
Stock radiator, stock reservoir, 18psi cap.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
how close is it on the driverside,i have a caprice engine with everything on the other side.i have seen other articles where they have hammered,cut and welded the frame for clearence for the ac compressor

3,118 Posts
Yes, Corvette accessory bracket. Perfect fit, no cutting or banging things up.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
all of the ones i have are iron head and gm always gave me a 15 .very nicely done,very neat and clean.how close is it to the ps box.i have the bigger fast box ,the one with 4 bolt cover?

· Registered
2,102 Posts
did you have any issues not useing the purge tank.i have everything from the donor car but would rather not use the tank if i dont need to.i have a new 4 row aluminium rad.and was thinking of putting in a nipple for the hose and a bung for the low coolant sensor

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figured out the hard way that my radiator had a leak (it finally sprung a stream). I still get a coolant 'smell' because the stock reservoir is just open to the air at the vent tube, I think. Of course it is a lot better since I put in a new radiator! <grin> I need to ground my relays to make sure that my fan is coming on. I wired a two speed fan to be controlled by the ECM with two relays... one for low speed and one for high speed and SpeerTech was supposed to set them up for 195 and 210. So far I'm running at about 195 on long drives but it gets up around 210 in town in traffic and it's not hot out yet.

C#

3,118 Posts
all of the ones i have are iron head and gm always gave me a 15 .very nicely done,very neat and clean.how close is it to the ps box.i have the bigger fast box ,the one with 4 bolt cover?
I do not recall exactly, but do remember there is quite a bit of clearance, car is at my shop and I am home at the moment. Never had any problems with anything hitting or rubbing.

3,118 Posts
did you have any issues not useing the purge tank.i have everything from the donor car but would rather not use the tank if i dont need to.i have a new 4 row aluminium rad.and was thinking of putting in a nipple for the hose and a bung for the low coolant sensor
None

3,118 Posts
Yes, I made the lines up using the manifold assembly from the donor vette. The orifice still lives in the original elky evaporator core, no need to add anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.