El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I've got a near stock 454 (small cam, manifold, Holley 650) from a 77 C10 that I've rebuilt and am slotting into my 77 El Camino, that was stock with a 350, auto, PS and air.

On the subject of radiators, what's everyone's opinion on whether the stock one will do it?

Is there a different spec radiator for small versus big blocks from 73-77? I can't find anything real definitive on the interwebs.

Thanks!

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..yea, I did the same, pulled out the small block and replace it with a big block, what I did was ,went to the radiator shop and told them that my 74 has a big block in it, so, they got me a 3 row cross flow radiator, got a 160* thermostat and it's been running at that temp with no problems at all..good luck on the swap and post up some pictures of the job.also, you might want to get a fan shroud too the small block is different than the big blocks..:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome David

""On the subject of radiators, what's everyone's opinion on whether the stock one will do it?""
depends on what it is now?? it could be a small 3row or a big 3row
generally in a hot climate a SBC radiator is not big enuff..
you going to do any towing in the summer time??
running a cooler thermostat puts more load on the radiator too..

:texas:

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
G'day Dave,how are ya mate. As always my ol mate JJ has hit the nail on the head..climate.With our climate here l would suggest you go for the biggest radiator you can get for it. You will get away with a smaller one in winter but summer is a different story. Being in Sydney the traffic there is so congested now also.Spend the dough and give yourself peace of mind.
I can help you out if you need anything,l am 4 hours drive away.

·
Registered
844 Posts
G'day Dave,how are ya mate. With our climate here l would suggest you go for the biggest radiator you can get for it. You will get away with a smaller one in winter but summer is a different story. Being in Sydney the traffic there is so congested now.Spend the dough and give yourself peace of mind.
I can help you out if you need anything.
I agree with this suggestion. And bigger good radiators are not that overly priced. Peace of mind knowing that your temp gauge may be making you sweat as the BBC starts pushing above 200 but knowing your radiator is the best you could do, you'll feel cooler in the long run.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

JJ, no idea what's in ti right now; stock from the fac-tor-ee I expect (whatever that is). Won't know until it's pulled.

Moose, When I joined the guys said you were down Bateman's? Good to touch base! Been talking to Paul from Natrad (part of Adrad) up here in Granville and he's good to do whatever it takes (bigger core, etc). I'm not going to tow but will haul in the tray occasionally. You're right on the piece of mind; was keen in the meantime to see what the forum had to say about the stock unit though. Not penny pinching either - been in this game and done the odd car mod enough to know that never works (once bitten twice shy, etc.) If you PM me I'll shoot you my email/phone etc. For next when I'm down there going Culburra in a month but not as far as Batemans).

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Some years ago, I bought a new radiator for an El Camino, and the counter guy asked if it was AC, or, was it HD/AC.. I bought the HD/AC type. At the time I wasn't aware of the HD/AC, but it is a bigger core. That radiator now resides in my 408 SB Malibu..
Seems that aluminum radiators do cool better for their size, which is what's in my '75 Elco...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
steelybill, I've been warned off of aluminium by just about everyone for my application due to the increased chance of electrolysis. It's not a race car and unlike modern cars with electronics and resistors and what not everywhere to manage electrical current. It's a street car, regular use, etc. Even though aluminium might cool better and more efficiently, the downside is constant problems arising from this.

What's your experience? with your Malibu?

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Champion 3 row aluminum in mine since 2007 cooling stage 2 Buick 455 - no problems and no electrolysis. Grounds and more grounds

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
Thanks!

JJ, no idea what's in ti right now; stock from the fac-tor-ee I expect (whatever that is). Won't know until it's pulled.

Moose, When I joined the guys said you were down Bateman's? Good to touch base! Been talking to Paul from Natrad (part of Adrad) up here in Granville and he's good to do whatever it takes (bigger core, etc). I'm not going to tow but will haul in the tray occasionally. You're right on the piece of mind; was keen in the meantime to see what the forum had to say about the stock unit though. Not penny pinching either - been in this game and done the odd car mod enough to know that never works (once bitten twice shy, etc.) If you PM me I'll shoot you my email/phone etc. For next when I'm down there going Culburra in a month but not as far as Batemans).
No worries mate, wi send PM

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have the same radiator as the photos gilby posted. I actually just ordered an aluminum radiator this week from ECP which I'll be installing this weekend. I wasn't having trouble with the copper radiator but just looking for a cleaner look, cooler temps and lighter.
We'll see how it goes

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I have an aluminum 3 row with fan/shroud setup from Superior Radiator.I bought an anode that replaces the petcock at the bottom.It is small but so far I have seen no sign of electrolysis going on.I believe I paid about $20 for it.
Get all the radiator you can! Never know when traffic jams will make your motor want to overheat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts