El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,378 Posts
My parts book gives me 2 different part #'s 78-81 & 82-87 !!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
IIRC, the headlight openings in the 78-81 are different then the ones in the 82-87. I do know that some people have swapped the early aluminum core supports (somewhat rare) into later model g-bodies. I see no reason the 80 support wouldn,t bolt into the 86 trucklet.

Doug

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you can swap them you just need to open the headlight acess hole to match the old one. i have done this several times when the correct one wasnt available

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
You will have to trim out the headlight opening to match the 86.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do i trim the headlight sectionon 80 radiator core support for 86 header panel to install

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do i swap the Radiator Core Support... Can i swap a radiator core support with remove of fenders

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
You will not have to unbolt the fenders back by the doors or the inner fenders. Everything in front will have to come loose. It is not that bad of a job. some of the bolts coming through the fender into the header panel can be a bit of a pain.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Guys For The Help One Last ? Can the swap be performed by unbolting front fender bolts and slide out radiator core suport ????

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How to add Header Panel to Core Support

How to bolt up a Header panel to core support where are the screws to the header panel to core support??

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
there are 2 on top and several around the battery tray area where the inner fender bolts to it and a couplewhere the sides of the core support meet the fenders vertical edge.you need to remove the battery tray. there is one on each side from the bottom up

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
The header is also attached to front fender edge. There might be #10 bolts behind the headlight doors or #10 nuts up inside the fender.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
sratch the last one .i need to put my eye crutches back on sorry . there are several screws along the top and a couple on the edges where the header meets the fender edge .you reach them from inside the wheel opening with the inner fender out or you can reach through the opening where the horns are but you will loose skin that way

1 - 20 of 23 Posts