El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, so the heat in my '80 elky wasn't very warm so I went ahead and replaced my heater core seeing as I know it has never been replaced. Everything back together and sealed up correctly, fired it up and the hot air was warmer, but not to where I know it should be. So, I bought a new thermostat at O'Reily's (in hindsight I should have done that first because it is way easier). Anyways, I didn't have any (noticeable) leaks after the heater core replacement. However, after changing the thermostat out, the heat in the car is absolutely beautiful. Still don't see any leaks, but my upper and lower radiator hoses have zero pressure... my hoses going into the heater core are hot and cooler but no pressure either. My overfill was empty, but after trying the "burping" technique I read about on here I was able to get it to fill up to the cold line, but still no pressure in the lines. I used a new gasket with the thermostat, so basically I'm thinking there has to be a pinhole leak somewhere that is only causing issues when the hose is heated up. Would a good next step be to get a pressure test pump and force the pressure into it and try to find the leak? Also, anyone have any idea what pressure to pump it to if I go that route? Thanks very much. - newbie

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
X2 on testing the cap. What does your temp gauge say. The new t stat could be stuck closed or backwards

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The pressure to test at should be stamped on the cap. Probably 13 psi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't mention testing the cap. And is there flow?
X2 on testing the cap. What does your temp gauge say. The new t stat could be stuck closed or backwards
So I don't have a temperature gauge. I have a granny sweep style speedometer with idiot lights and a fuel gauge, that's it. I would just run the car with the radiator cap off to check my flow correct? Also just bought a new radiator cap with the safety lever for easy pressure release without having to wait for it to cool down. Have it jacked up in the front right now doing 10 minute cycles of "burping". I think I am going to let it cool down and pull out the thermostat I just replaced to see if it's stuck closed. if it was stuck closed, wouldn't I not have any heat in the cabin then?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
is that a good quality radiator cap ??
like ACDelco or Stant ??
same question for the T-stat ??

if the T-stat was stuck closed the heater would work better than normal,,
if stuck open you would get less heat..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My heat is incredibly good so there’s a good chance that new thermostat is stuck maybe. The radiator cap is Duralast and the thermostat is Murray. (Thermostat was supposably OEM specs) are you recommending only using those two brands? and again, my El Camino doesn’t and never has had a thermostat! Really appreciate the quick responses and hanging in there with my novice skills! I’m aspiring to be knowledgable one day! 😂

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
if the Tstat is stuck closed you wont see any radiator flow,
but it would still make pressure if it got hot enuff tho.. might take 20min..

I would not put any kind of artozone, oriely brand parts on my car
unless I was already on the side of the road, with no choice,,
cheap parts don't last..
Stant does make parts for other brands tho, who knows ??
I trust ACDelco and Stant, that's all I have ever used in the Texas heat..

x2 on checking the pressure, they do rent tools..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts