El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this sounds like a obvious question but what is the name of the rubber pieces the radiator sits on. Depending on what company is selling them, they call them different names such as mounts, bushings, pads, insulators, locators, and I know there is more but for whatever reason I can not find these for a 79 el camino. Ive searched all over and most of the time it comes up core support bushings or for a car that not a 79 el camino. I order some for a SBC but they were to big. Also do I need 2 or 4

·
Registered
158 Posts
I found a listing for you--GM Radiator Core Support Bushings. Go to Mike's Montes and in upper left corner scroll down to El Camino and go down scroll down to Body Mounts and Suspension Parts.

·
Premium Member
5,670 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ok so this sounds like a obvious question but what is the name of the rubber pieces the radiator sits on. Depending on what company is selling them, they call them different names such as mounts, bushings, pads, insulators, locators, and I know there is more but for whatever reason I can not find these for a 79 el camino. Ive searched all over and most of the time it comes up core support bushings or for a car that not a 79 el camino. I order some for a SBC but they were to big. Also do I need 2 or 4
Stock radiator? The rubber pads needs to be the same width as your radiator.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As for the pads, you need 2 for the bottom and 2 for the top. I did a search on "GM Radiator Retainer Pads" and got a few pictures to look at. Maybe you can find them this way. There were different sites to choose from. If anything, measure yours and contact the sites that looks the closest to yours and ask about measurements. Again, good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, easy enough. Just ordered from summit. Goodmark calls them core support bushings.

Do the two on the top of the radiator go underneath the shroud? For some reason i thought the top of radiator goes into the core support but it doesnt. The shroud holds it down. So I'm assuming there are locator holes in the shroud for the rubber nipples to go in

Thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
I ended up finding thick pieces of rubber at the auto store which where for something else, and cut my own. Work good for what it's worth

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured I'd follow up on these radiator mounts in case someone else is looking also. The ones I got, the 3 row, all 4 were the same size. On my 79 and assuming all years there are 2 different sizes. One of each size is on the top and bottom. The rubber nipples on my 79 mounts are offset from the center. On the new ones and every ones I've ordered they are in the center. I probably could have made them work by trimming them up but I did not want to do that. I was able to find some used ones in good shape. If I remember I'll get the part # off of them and post them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts