El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well last night i stopped at wallyworld and when I came out there was a nice green puddle underneath the front end, just filled the coolant tank earlier that morning. Well it was dark when I got home so I couldnt tell if the leaking had stopped. Well today I come out of lowes and there is another puddle. I crawled under the car in the parking lot and saw a stream coming from about half way up the radiator. Now i know that its time for a new radiator what I need to know is how hard is it to replace and should I go aftermarket or junkyard? I am planning on swapping the motor later and build up to 500+HP so a highflow radiator would be nice. Are there any out there or am I stuck with the stock.

Thanks

ga79elky

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
500HP HUH? I'd go with an aluminum at least 3 core, but even better a 4 core with dual electric fans. Check SUMMIT for what you'll need. It's pretty much a bolt in swap...out with old, in with the new. Be ready to shell out some bucks though. Radiators are pretty much determined by size nowadays width x height, and how many cores (rows) they have, even putting in electric fans and wiring them is no big feat. Makes for a really nice look too, once you get all the engine compartment tricked out...and it will be tricked out if you plan on making 500HP!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The replacement HD radiator for your truck is about $90.00 where I am, I got a new Heavy Duty for the 80 three rows I think it is not plastic it is copper. I have that on a 383 and have no, zero, nada problems with it. I also got the same HD radiator for my 76. Well it is actually not the same the 76 has a slightly bigger radiator but the cost was about the same and both are "Stock" HD Radiators. Both are cooling 383s both 383s produce the same (Roughly) HP (400 to 430Hp) and I have no heating problems.

If you go with the Aluminum remember get an Anode for the cooling system. Electrolysis will eat up the radiator in time. It does the same to any aluminum parts like Heads etc.. that flow coolant in them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts