El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now sure this is the proper place, but here we go.

About a year ago I bought a new radiator. No problem there.
It has an "extra" outlet near the top. It's on the passenger side tank, about an inch or two below the radiator cap. It had a rubber cap with a hose clamp on it.

It's not the fitting for the overflow bottle. That's connected. This nipple is about 1/2" in diameter and 1/2 - 3/4" long. What's it for?

Anyway, it just started spewing a fine spray of coolant when the engine warmed up. That's because the rubber cap now has some small cracks in it. I found something similar at AZ and replaced it, but I'm really curious what that nipple is for.

I'm considering filling the new rubber cap with JB Weld and sticking it back on. Any ideas?

Jack

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Other applications have a heater hose going to that nipple

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
a good radiator shop will charge you about $15 to remove that nipple and braze the hole shut. worth it to be done foolin with it.

the nipple is for the coolant return from the heater core on a TBI/TPI motor, that doesn't have a nipple for that on the water pump.

:poke:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Yeah try to find a radiator shop! He probably shares a building with the chrome shop! Don't know how it is where you guys are but the EPA pretty much did away with those businesses here. Yeah cheap import plastic radiators didn't help much either. But I knew a guy that invested in a piece of equipment that would clamp new plastic tanks to the aluminum cores. Problem was he still had everything a radiator shop should have, dunk tanks and other non-EPA friendly things.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Not to get off topic but the stupidly of the EPA is beyond comprehension.
I live in Iowa on a farm. And in their infinite wisdom they were talking about a new piece of legislation that would penalize a farmer for making too much dust !!!

Ever try to plow or disc, or combine corn or beans?
Impossible to do without making dust.

Sorry for going off topic but this academic logic drives me nuts.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
this is WV, our biggest industries are high-sulphur coal and meth labs. EPA is afraid to come here. sometimes they stand on the ohio side of the border and yell at us, but we just ignore them

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
742 Posts
this is WV, our biggest industries are high-sulphur coal and meth labs. EPA is afraid to come here. sometimes they stand on the ohio side of the border and yell at us, but we just ignore them

:nanawrench:
You may be on to something !!!
So what keeps them away...The high sulphur coal or the meth labs ???

I'm waiting for a bunny hugger to picket my 383 Elky...Only gets around 10 mpg around town. Probably need to get a Kia Sophia or one of those other little rice burners to bring up my gas consumption average.

Did we get his radiator question resolved ?!?!

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I lived most of my life in ILL. grew up on farms, spent 7-8 yrs working in the agri-chemical field too. In ILL, EPA stands for Eliminate Pesticides Altogether!
LOL They used to check our warehouse about 5-6 times a year.

:secret:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Mine has that rubber cap too, if it has brass tanks you could braze a cap on, or just replace the rubber cap if it has plastic tanks. I don't think the jb weld would fair too well, plus you would have a mess on your hands if you ever have to replace it again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had the same issue this weekend. But a quick trip to AutoZone took care of it. I guess it got brittle under this hot weather. Now I know to watch out for it tho.

·
Registered
929 Posts
So whats the Fix of the Nipple on Plastic Tank radiators ????
Seems like a new rubber cap is the only real fix. You could re route the heater hose to the radiator instead and cap off the hole at the waterpump, personally I don't think it would be worth it. I think I will grab a few rubber caps and keep them in the glove box just in case.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Same thing happened to me today! The rubber cover on the nipple cracked and spewed antifreeze on my pretty new motor! I went to AZ and purchased a new boot. I then put a larger boot on top of that one and put a clamp on it.
RTT

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same thing happened to me today! The rubber cover on the nipple cracked and spewed antifreeze on my pretty new motor! I went to AZ and purchased a new boot. I then put a larger boot on top of that one and put a clamp on it.
RTT
Did you find a single boot or have to buy a package of various sizes? I had to buy the assortment. They didn't have a single.

Jack

·
Supporting Member
4,475 Posts
An alternative is available in the Help Section. It is an expanding rubber plug with a bolt in the middle. You insert the plug and tighten the bolt, expanding the rubber. sealing the hole. Probably not a lot better than the cap and clamp, but might look a little better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I also had to replace my radiator with one with additional fittings I really did not want but mine has a metal screw in plug to cap it off no problems so far. No one else has this for capping the unwanted port off? I talked to a radiator guy about just having it removed but he said for the money and the lifetime warranty on the radiator he would just leave it alone but would do whatever I wanted. I decided to just let it be with the steel screw in plug.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts