El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have just bought a 1985 El Camino and am trying to get it up to original specs. I have a radiator leak, not sure if I should repair or replace. I am in Ft Pierce, not sure of repair shops locally, will look today, but wanted to know if anyone locally has a repair suggestion or if you have bought a new radiator, where did you get it and any other info you might suggest. Thanks

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
My radiator was damaged just after I bought the cruck and they replaced it with one of the fitall plastic body things. I recently aquired a stock radiator that came from a Camaro with a 305. I got it serviced, repairs made to small leaks around transmission line ports, extra solder added to strengthen top neck, pressure tested, and painted pretty for $40. Paid $50 for the radiator so only $90 total to have a good as new stock GM radiator!

BTW Did that member who has a 74 Sprint in South Beach ever contact you?

:beer:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello rtatwk, thanks for the reply. I am trying to avoid having 85 out of service by removing rad for repair. Sounds like I need to find another radiator to get refurbished and then replace the one I have. It has a small leak near top on drivers side, does not run hot but loses fluid. I still have the 74 sprint do not recall hearing from the person you mention, although my memory is not for sure. I am also struggling with getting rid of all computor stuff, I like the idea of keeping everything original or going to a different carb, distributor. Will make decision this week. I have looked up getting rid of computor controls but not sure I know everything involved there yet. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i paid 130 for a new with a lifetime warranty from auto zone and it had no problems cooling the 400 that came out of my 86. i wouldnt spend 90 to buy and repair a old radiator when i can get a completely new on i never need to spend money on again for 130. makes no sense to me.besides the new aluminium ones out cool the brass ones all day long

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have a good radiator from my 69 big block auto trans.

No leaks, just upgraded to an alum.

Dont know if it will fit your 74 or not but will sell cheap.

I'm in Lakeland.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,609 Posts
Sprint74dog , If you can find someone who has an extra one that is willing to give it to you or sell real cheap , that would be ideal . Like Roybob said , I`de suggest calling a few places like NAPA etc. and see what it would cost for a new one . The radiator has to be removed anyway and you are more confident it does not leak . You lucky ones that live on the mainland can get things substantially cheaper than us but a radiator repair however cheap is still a repair on something so important .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts