El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find a radiator support for my 1980 El Camino. I can find for 82-87 Elky and an 81-88 Monte Carlo. I don't see my specific year covered. Just want to make sure that there wasn't something different between this part of the gbody years. Does anyone have any info to help? Thanks

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,797 Posts
the 78-81 A-Body core support is different from the 82-87 G-Body core support but I thought it was just the size of the light buckets hole opening ?

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
78 - 81 were single headlights, 82 - 87 were dual lights as well as parking lights totally different

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Monte Carlo is completely different sheetmetal (and wider overall) so I doubt the radiator support will work.
Patrick

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Monte Carlo is completely different sheetmetal (and wider overall) so I doubt the radiator support will work.
Patrick
true, but a Google search also shows that it is a quad headlight versus dual. anyone have a Hollander manual to verify the right vehicles for the right years?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I checked the old GM parts catalogs and found 14034186 is listed for all Chevrolet G bodies from ‘82-85 and Camino/Caballero ‘82-87. 14023674 is listed for ‘78-81 Camino. Supposedly the ealry units are aluminum versus steel from ‘82 up; they may he interchangeable but I can’t verify that (I don’t gave a Hollander). Maybe the numbers help though?
Patrick

·
Registered
597 Posts
pbr400, can you check your parts catalog and verify if the radiator supports for 87's are all the same, specifically, an 87 442 and El Camino? I'm just found a support from an 87 442 to use either as a final replacement or only temporarily while I restore the original. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I don’t have any Olds books, just Chevy and Buick, but it looks like (ffom comparing numbers and searching) that (1) Olds used a different part number but (2) they’re all so close that they could be made to work. The people trying to sell them say they do...
Patrick

·
Registered
597 Posts
Okay, thanks Patrick. That helps me decide which direction I'll take...temporarily or final. Also, it will depend on overall condition of each unit after I inspect them closely.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Okay, thanks Patrick. That helps me decide which direction I'll take...temporarily or final. Also, it will depend on overall condition of each unit after I inspect them closely.
when you inspect them, look for the smallest differences, holes included. had to do a radiator support on my 04 Suburban, found one from an 02 at the jyard, only difference was 1 hole (centered) versus 2 holes (equal spaced). get it home to install....well, DUH! guess where the airbag impact sensors mount (or would have)?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I checked the old GM parts catalogs and found 14034186 is listed for all Chevrolet G bodies from ‘82-85 and Camino/Caballero ‘82-87. 14023674 is listed for ‘78-81 Camino. Supposedly the ealry units are aluminum versus steel from ‘82 up; they may he interchangeable but I can’t verify that (I don’t gave a Hollander). Maybe the numbers help though?
Patrick
first hit on google found this...
second hit also has interesting info of aluminum vs steel

RADIATOR SUPPORT, USED, ORIGINAL, OE# 14023674, shipping is estimate

FITS:

• 1978 1979 1980 1981 Chevy Monte Carlo
  • 1978-81 El camino GMC Caballero Conquista
  • 78-81 Malibu
  • 82-86 BONNEVILLE
  • 78-81 CENTURY steel
  • 78-80 CUTLASS steel
  • 81-87 CUTLASS 4 Dr
  • 78-80 GRAND PRIX steel
  • 78-81 LE MANS steel
  • 78-80 REGAL steel

Notes
Important part details
YearMakeModelTrimEngine
Please See Note in ListingGM showed a different part # for 78-81 modelsless1980ChevroletEl CaminoBase Standard Cab Pickup 2-Door5.0L 305Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated

Item specifics
Condition:NewSuperseded Part Number:GM # 14023674 14093831 25506386
Placement on Vehicle:FrontCountry/Region of Manufacture:Taiwan
Surface Finish:EDP CoatedInterchange Part Number:GM # 14034186
NOTE:Please Read Note within the Listing DescriptionMaterial:Steel
Other Part Number:1331 4062-320-082 406232082Brand:Goodmark
Type:Radiator SupportFitment Type:Direct Replacement
Manufacturer Part Number:GMK406232082Warranty:90 Day
UPC:Does not apply

• NOTE:
    • Replaces GM # 14034186 which is listed as 1982 - 1987 G Body Models (El Camino & Malibu) and 1982 - 1988 G37 Models (Monte Carlo).
    • This will fit ALL 1978 - 1988 A & G Body models BUT keep in mind there maybe slight differences between the original & this reproduction (i.e. hole location for various things like A/C lines or braces)
    • GM also offered two version in the early production models. One was stamped from Aluminum and the other Steel. Keep in mind any time a change is made (i.e. a new drilled hole) GM would most likely change their part number and supersede the original part number with the replacement number (Fit & Function). This makes it difficult when looking up parts in the old GM books depending on the revision of the book and the date the part was superseded.
    • We are not 100% sure that this will fit 1981-1987 Regal or Cutlass 2 door models correctly so at this time we are not listing those models.
  • Fits:
    • 1982 - 1987 Chevrolet: Monte Carlo
      • Should fit 1981 models as well but GM used a different part #
    • 1982 - 1987 Chevrolet: El Camino
    • 1982 - 1983 Chevrolet: Malibu - ALL
    • 1982 - 1987 Pontiac: Grand Prix
  • Should Also Fit:
    • 1978 - 1980: Cutlass, Regal, Century, Grand LeMans, LeMans & Grand Prix
    • 1981 - 1983: Cutlass 4 Door, Regal / Century 4 Door

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I can't seem to find a radiator support for my 1980 El Camino. I can find for 82-87 Elky and an 81-88 Monte Carlo. I don't see my specific year covered. Just want to make sure that there wasn't something different between this part of the gbody years. Does anyone have any info to help? Thanks
There is a guy on the FB page that has an 80 model support wondering if it will fit his 87. Kind of opposite problems. I sent you a PM with his email addy. Hopefully you guys can work something out! Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought one for my 82 try Mikes Montes he has tons of G body stuf not just Monte Carlos

·
Registered
597 Posts
Update: With regard to using an 87 442 radiator support in an 87 El Camino, I just brought home the Olds radiator support and compared it to the El Camino's. Both are not direct replacements for one another; there is a difference in the area of the headlight openings. At first glance, it appears the El Camino requires a little more clearance around and possibly behind the headlights. If necessary, the opening on the 442 radiator support can be trimmed.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
At first glance, it appears the El Camino requires a little more clearance around and possibly behind the headlights. If necessary, the opening on the 442 radiator support can be trimmed.
better that than the other way around (adding metal). I'd still whip out the calipers and start measuring various areas and openings. you may not need to do any trimming, in fact I would not think you need to do any trimming since all lights and wiring should be the same. the extra metal may actually be an updated part with revised specs to fix an otherwise unknown issue
post pictures if you want

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
whats your location?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts