El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 1970 el camino with a 307, no AC. I just pulled this car out of storage this winter after it was put there 25 years ago and found that the radiator is cracked (I think it is the original radiator). I ordered a new radiator from autozone (spectra CU161), but this radiator is wider and the transmission cooling lines do not line up. (The upper line port is about 6 inches lower than on the old radiator). The width is easily accepted (I figure that it'll cool better), but what I can't figure out are these two things:

1) Is there a place to get new transmission cooling lines that would be bent to the correct shape to reach this new radiator (I don't want to risk bending the existing ones as they are quite rusted and probably need replaced anyways) and

2) closely related, how do you tell which transmission you have? I've narrowed it down to either the 350 or the 400, but not sure how to tell the difference.

Novice restorer in Indiana...

Thanks,
Craig

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i'm looking at your pic correctly, did you just bend your own line and add the fittings to the ends? It looks like you ran it a slightly different route than mine are currently run. do most autoparts stores carry the appropriate tools to do the fittings and line bending?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. As the lines are quite rusted and don't really look in that good a shape anyway, and after all your advice, i think i'm going to go with a full line replacement. Any suggestions on good benders and flaring tools? I'm eventually going to do a full rebuild on it, so a little bit of cost in the tools doesn't bother me.

thanks, Craig

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.