El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking like I may have to replace my radiator but before I do so had some questions, just trying to plan it all out so there is no wasted money.

Currently have an SBC 305. If I am planning on upgrading the engine, say to a 383 (which is an SBC), would I need to worry about getting a radiator with the hose connections in different locations? I'm guessing No. Now if I was going to swap to an LS or BBC I think it would be different.

speaking of which, what does the stock radiator have? 2 rows, 3 rows? and if I do replace with an SBC, what would be a good amount of rows to install, three or four?

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I went with a two row but wider than stock 1.25 inch internal tubes - Jegs part number 359-GMA546AK . The idea here with two rows is that your fans (two e-fans for me) can pull cooling air through two rows of fins easier than three or four rows. Basically, there are diminishing returns on the additional rows. A two row also costs and weighs less.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I've been using the Spectra for about seven years and it does a fabulous jobs well as warrantied for lifetime. Don't be fooled by this radiator as I has a large aluminum tube that really performs. I have a hybrid 305 that will sit for 20 minutes and run and never even think about overheating. Its really a great piece. I run a Lincoln Mk fan with DCC controller also and have it setup on the slower speed .For the price what do you have to lose by trying it ??

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also planning on doing the e-fan conversion and already have a junkyard shroud/fan assembly with controllers

hmm, two rows with wider internal tubes. but you have an LS motor don't you Rick? or does that not matter? I'm guessing it does by comparing the pictures of your model with the one Jegs spec's for the Elkie (location of hose connections). that's what I was asking about. if I end up putting a 383 in the Elkie will the one spec'd for the stock 305 work for it? or will I need to go bigger?

Aluminum Performance Radiator
  • 1978-1988 GM G-Body
  • Automatic Transmission
  • 18.5" H x 26.5" W x 3" D
  • driver-side upper, passenger side lower, hose connections
Aluminum Performance Radiator
  • 1968-1972 GM A-Body w/LS Swap
  • 18.4" H x 28.5" W x 3" D
  • passenger side upper/lower, hose connections

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I posted the Jegs link for specs but not anything for height or width for your vehicle.

My LS is about 323 cubic inches. Very close to your 305 cubic inches.

For your e-fans, you also need to decide how your AC compressor will turn on the first fan immediately in spite of the fact that the engine is not yet hot enough to need a fan. This is to control excessive compressor head pressures. I use a module from Four Seasons for this. Their part number 35879.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts