El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my '87 in September, and the speakers need replacing. I appear to only have 2 small front speakers in the dash, nothing in the doors and nothing in the rear. I mention the doors and rear because Crutchfield lists speakers being available for each location.

Crutchfield lists the behind seat location as "In Cab Corners, or Lower Side Wall. Use the factory speaker grilles." The product is: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068S412/RetroSound-S-412.html?tp=105

Was this a factory location that I don't have somehow? Has anyone retrofitted these or other speakers back there somewhere?

Years ago when I had my '83, the rear speakers were simply mounted in homemade wooden boxes that sat on the floor, previous owner had done that, and it was OK but I would like to do a better job this time.

·
437 Posts
Rear speakers

I know that wiring for rear speakers shows on the diagram, but I have never seen one that had them. Eckler`s has replacements for front dash corners but when I used them I had to modify slightly. They also have another pair that look like they would mount easily on the back wall but they do not include grills. JP

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I bought speakers from Autozone $15 each fit perfect , you need a tiny short phillips head screwdriver to remove the old speakers . I also have box speakers in my smugglers box , I ran wires under the carpet .

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Buick offered 'Concert Sound' on the Regal and it included enclosures with speakers in the lower door panels. That or an aftermarket panel like it would allow mounting midrange drivers for good imaging and volume. Put tweets in the dash and big low rangers in the smugglers box or floor. And no, there never was a rear speaker option on fifth gens. Mine has the factory radio and it doesn't even have a fader ('86 and '87 went to the big face radio and I think they had a fader that doesn't do anything). The dealer we ordered it from offered to cobble up something but Dad declined.
Patrick

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the confirmation, guys. Yes, my stereo is also the one with the graphic equalizer and a fader that doesn't do anything (yet).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting it has a corvette logo on it, must be manufactured for corvette but fit here. Looks like it blocks access to the smuggler's hold though; do you still keep your spare tire in there?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Interesting it has a corvette logo on it, must be manufactured for corvette but fit here. Looks like it blocks access to the smuggler's hold though; do you still keep your spare tire in there?
No spare tire, but there is a subwoofer & amp. Spare tire would not do any good with the Tire & Rim combo setup thats on Nick's. Got AAA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts