El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about raising the back of the vehicles suspension. I don't want to go crazy but I would like it raised a bit to give it that mean muscle car look. Any idea how this can be accomplished?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about raising the back of the vehicles suspension. I don't want to go crazy but I would like it raised a bit to give it that mean muscle car look. Any idea how this can be accomplished?
Just how much do you want to raise it?
how much handling are you willing to sacrifice?

For me, just run a slightly smaller front tire or a slightly larger rear tire will give you a muscle car rake.

Either of those solutions is easily reversible.

Other possibilities include spring spacers between the top or bottom of the spring and its perch. any of these can give you a 1 inch rake with little to no effort. If you are interested in the 70's era "Stink-bug" look you will need to do more.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Monroe "Load Leveler" shocks will raise the tail up at least an inch. You can also try taller tires. Use 70 or 75 aspect ratio tires rather than 50's or 60's. You can pick up a few more inches that way, but, at the expense of altering your final drive ratio. These days that might be a good thing to do!

·
Registered
113 Posts
x2 on air shocks! The bonus is you can haul a lot of stuff with ease when you need to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just want to raise it a few inches, and nothing to expensive. And if I get bigger back tires, do I need to buy bigger rims for it as well?

·
Registered
852 Posts
find a set of rear springs off a full size wagon, prefferably with a/c (for some reason a/c cars had taller springs) i have a set of 80s caprice wagon springs on the back and big block police package caprice coupe springs under the front. if you lift the back much though, youll need longer shocks, and too much lift the wheel will be forward more in relation to the center of the wheel-well (nothin a set of adjustable control arms wont fix)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts