El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my first road trip to the East Texas Spring Fling in Tyler with DDD and Steelbeast. What a fun drive we all had.

However, I noticed after sustained highway speed, 70-80mph, my engine temp crept up to approx 200*. Usually right at 180 in town and on short higher speed runs.

It is a new 350 (2500 miles on it), and is running dual electric fans which come on whenever the ignition is on....

My neighbor suggested that the electric fans themselves might be hindering air flow once I'm at highway speeds.

Does that make any sense to anyone out there? :dontknow:

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Should not hinder air flow, just the opposite. What temperature thermostat are you running?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why are the fans always on? Seems like a waste. At highway speeds they might be hindering airflow and the alternator has to work harder to generate more juice.

As for the temp issue - I don't know. Is the system pressurizing? Is it full of coolant?

·
0 Posts
Have you thought of running a toggle switch? That may help if you keep an eye on the temp gauge.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why are the fans always on? Seems like a waste. At highway speeds they might be hindering airflow and the alternator has to work harder to generate more juice.

As for the temp issue - I don't know. Is the system pressurizing? Is it full of coolant?
System is pressurized, no leaks, has overflow/recovery tank, plenty of coolant. That was the question, could the running fans at highway speed be hindering the air flow.

Thinking about a temperature triggered switch instead of the fans running all the time. I don't trust myself using a manual switch which is why they run all the time - at least I'm sure they are on.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
temp trigger is the way to go............some units also shutdown at highway speeds

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
The fans will not hinder air flow unless they are wired backwards or are installed backwards, i.e.., a pusher in place of a puller and vise versa. And indeed, a thermostatic switch is the way to go with the fans, but doubtful that is the solution to your problem. Did you replace the fan and fan clutch with the electric fan or do you still have the fan and clutch installed? What is coolant temps city and highway with a/c on and off, make any difference? What size electric fans, where and how are they mounted?

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New crate motor, no fan or fan clutch ever on this motor. Dual fans, Flex-a-Lite, 12" each I believe, from JEGS. the shroud the fans are mounted in is a direct fit for the radiator in my 66. It is pulling as it should. Mounting is both rubber isolated hard mounts at the top with 3 additional 'through the radiator' plastic mounts designed for this purpose. The shroud is fit well so as not to loose desired effect.

It has consistently run at 180 or a hair below in heavy or light traffic. It is warm here already and I'm worried about this coming summer in Dallas.

Radiator is original style, but only a few years old and looks new inside and out.

·
0 Posts
I don't think the temp is bad since we were coasting around 90 according to the speedometer app on my phone. I have video proof to show my speedometer was constantly pegged at 80.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
The fans should pull enough air on or off the hi-way. I can't remember your rad? 4 core? Aluminum?
The gauge made not be reading right on to?
Just thinking.:dontknow:
Donny

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not aluminum, but is a 3 row core. Can't remember if it came from Year One or JEGS, been a few years on that purchase. Remember laughing cause they called it something like 'Desert Rat' implying it could handle Texas heat.

Obviously my speedo cable (needle bouncing) is not allowing a good reading, or I need a calibration too . New Autometer gauges and senders where required. Temp sending unit into the cylinder head.

But I had no idea we were going that fast. My speedo never really got above 70, once to 80 maybe.

·
0 Posts
Not aluminum, but is a 3 row core. Can't remember if it came from Year One or JEGS, been a few years on that purchase. Remember laughing cause they called it something like 'Desert Rat' implying it could handle Texas heat.

Obviously my speedo cable (needle bouncing) is not allowing a good reading, or I need a calibration too . New Autometer gauges and senders where required. Temp sending unit into the cylinder head.

But I had no idea we were going that fast. My speedo never really got above 70, once to 80 maybe.
Check out the Spring Fling thread for video proof of the speed.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Remember laughing cause they called it something like 'Desert Rat' implying it could handle Texas heat.

Temp sending unit into the cylinder head.

The radiator is called a "Desert Cooler"
Might be okay for the desert, but not all that effective in the Texas humid air.

Temp sending unit in the head will read a bit higher than the actual coolant temps, as it is close to the exhaust and combustion chambers.

200-210 is NOT a problem at all-----much higher than that, and it can be an issue.

The fans in my 59 are set to kick on at 225 and off at 210/215.
They seldom come on.

Check your timing---might want to bump it up a hair.
50/50 coolant to water is really too much for our climates.
I use one gallon of coolant and that is all.

Water cools better than antifreeze

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
As Bryan stated, 200 is nothing, after all water alone at atmosphere and sea level boils at 212. Add in coolant and a pressurized system and you get the picture. About the crate engine, is it higher performance than that which you removed?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts