El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was talking with my uncle about new shocks for my 86 el camino, back in the late 90s he built a pristine 86 MC SS, and he said he had Rancho shocks in it. Said they were the best shocks he'd ever had the the car. Anyways, i look around the forums, and someone claimed they don't make them for caminos anymore, and after some research they dont seem to make them for cars. Maybe somebody could help me out on this, either help me find the right ranchos, or something comparable in price and performance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:nanawrench:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depends on what you do with your elky... Do you tow? Haul heavy stuff on a regular basis? I guess what I mean is: do you use it as a car or truck more often? I personally recommend KYB, AGX series. They are adjustable, and I use them on all my non-4-wheel drive vehicles. On my 4X4's I use rancho RS-9000's (Also adjustable.) If you are dead-set on using rancho's I would go to you nearest 4wd supply store and have them measure your "resting" distance... This is the distance between your mounting points (Axle and frame) while your car is sitting on the ground. They can then find what shocks will fit your cruck.
Is there a "4 wheel parts" store in your area? I find them very helpful with my questions.
Hope this helps!
Jason.

·
Deputy Director Region 9 (MI-IN-KY)
293 Posts
It's my understanding that Rancho's are made by the same company that makes Monroe shocks.

I just installed Bilstiens on the front of mine, replacing a few year old set of Monroe Sense-Tracs. The difference is amazing!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use my camino mostly as a car, although i do throw my atv in the back once in awhile. After doing some research, both Monroe and Rancho are owned by the same company, Tenneco. But its my understanding that they make two totally different products, then theres rumors that Ranchos are rebadged Monroes and vise versa. How are the Bilstiens? I have friends who use them and claim there great for the handling, but do they totally kill the ride quality? Also how are the KYBs? Price wise and ride/ handling wise? Thanks for all the help, hopefully by the end of the week i will have ordered some new shocks for the elky.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The KYB's are, in my opinion, the best you can buy... I have had great luck with them and they are extremely durable. The advantage of the AGX, is that if you put your atv in the back you can adjust the valving to handle the extra weight. (No "squishy" feeling when you hit bumps.) They arent cheap, but they do last a while. I've had them on my camaro RS for 6 years now with no sign of wearing out. They feel just as new as the AGX's on my IROC camaro that I installed a year ago.

Jason.

·
293 Posts
I love the ride of the Bilstiens. It's firm, but it soaks up the bumps. I have KYB's on my GTO and my 58 Chevy. The Bilstiens do cost more, but I think they're worth it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the ride of the Bilstiens. It's firm, but it soaks up the bumps. I have KYB's on my GTO and my 58 Chevy. The Bilstiens do cost more, but I think they're worth it.
Hey Rob, if you wouldnt mind telling me what you paid around for the Bilstiens a piece, and did you buy any specific type? Maybe even where you bought them? Sorry if im pestering the hell out of you, but you have a similar setup to what im hopefully going to be doing to my elky, Thanks!:beer: I also found out i have KYBs on my elky already, so it wouldn't hurt trying something different.

·
293 Posts
I used www.shockwarehouse.com. Right now they list a set of 4 for $253 with free shipping. I have a discount code good for another 5% off.

Over the weekend I installed the Grand Prix bar that ties the F41 bars together, the fender to core support braces and a Monte SS Steering box and steering wheel. This thing is just amazing now:nanawrench:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used www.shockwarehouse.com. Right now they list a set of 4 for $253 with free shipping. I have a discount code good for another 5% off.

Over the weekend I installed the Grand Prix bar that ties the F41 bars together, the fender to core support braces and a Monte SS Steering box and steering wheel. This thing is just amazing now:nanawrench:
Ordering the bilstiens, I will be sure to follow up on how they are. I was also considering putting a rear swaybar in from a monte carlo ss. Thanks alot for the help.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Any of the extra bracing makes a good differance. F41 bars (they go from your crossmember to the front frame horns, then the Grand Prix bar that connects the 2 front frame rails together and the rear Monte SS sway bar and you will notice a big difference...

Mike, where in new England you located? There a big regional chevelle/ el camino show in sturbrige mass next month

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any of the extra bracing makes a good differance. F41 bars (they go from your crossmember to the front frame horns, then the Grand Prix bar that connects the 2 front frame rails together and the rear Monte SS sway bar and you will notice a big difference...

Mike, where in new England you located? There a big regional chevelle/ el camino show in sturbrige mass next month
The bracing is the next step after the suspension, im trying to "SS" my el camino up a bit, I had found the Service Parts Identifaction label last week, and come to find a z15 rpo code! Being an 86', its jsut a trim package, but i want it to live up to its SS name. Next step is the SS stickers for the door to match the silver metallic, wonder what kinda gains il be getting outta those lol. I live in Connecticut, Fairfield County area, lots of windy back roads so anything to improve handling is a must. Sturbridge is a bit of a drive for me, but its the summer so we'll see. Funny thing is i bought the camino in Springfield off a lot, so maybe im do for a visit to her home lol.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I live about 10-15 minutes from springfield depending on area, I work in east granby CT near Bradley airport

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live about 10-15 minutes from springfield depending on area, I work in east granby CT near Bradley airport

Im a good hour and a half from springfield, maybe 2 hours if not more from sturbridge. Any 5th gens gonna be there? Il try making it regardless, just gotta see what the summer brings!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Last year we bad over 100 cars there, around 40 elky's..... My 5th gen will be there..... Just last week a group of us met up at the chevy show in Rhode Island, around 20 showed up...... Check out the region 2 section on this site, we've got a good group of guys on there and were planning a meet in Putnam CT sometime this summer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts