El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
just noticed a ratcheting noise coming from the engine bay. It happens when I’m in neutral or driving. If I rev the engine in neutral then let my foot off the gas it sounds like a ratchet or like a bike when you stop pedaling. When I’m driving I have to get up to ~35 or so then when I let my foot off that gas it’s the same thing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so when you started it up with the valve cover off, the sound was no more?
No the sound was still happening, but everything looked okay in there. Took the other side off for good measure and everything looked to be in working order there too. Think my mind was playing tricks on me yesterday and the sound wasn’t from the under the covers at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some updates.

ratcheting sound happens in neutral when I rev the engine and let my foot off the gas quickly. If I let off gradually it didn’t happen. Same thing in drive. When I put it in high gear (1) it seems to be worse (sound happens on or off gas) in low gear (2) it’s a little better. Could not get it to make the noise in reverse.Starting to think it’s a trans issue engine break maybe?

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Loose torque converter or flywheel bolt?

·
Super Moderator
6,033 Posts
Harbor Freight has a very affordable automotive stethescope to listen for problems. Move it around to hear until you locate the area of the sound.
In my youth, I would take the wood dowel off the plumber's helper (plunger) and listen through the wood to hear where the sound was coming from.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,679 Posts
Some updates.

ratcheting sound happens in neutral when I rev the engine and let my foot off the gas quickly. If I let off gradually it didn’t happen. Same thing in drive. When I put it in high gear (1) it seems to be worse (sound happens on or off gas) in low gear (2) it’s a little better. Could not get it to make the noise in reverse.Starting to think it’s a trans issue engine break maybe?
ahhh, so kind of like a loose jingle-jangle.
if you're letting off gradually and no sound that kinda makes sense if something is loose since there is no immediate slack in the system. if letting off suddenly then it is possible for the loosely bolted together items to slow down at different speeds, there by causing a loose faster to rattle, as @69 SS396 pointed out

take it to a transmission shop and have them listen to it if you still find nothing wrong

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Get her up on jack stands, pull the cover and have a look. Could also be a cracked flex plate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would be looking for a cracked drive plate where the bolts tighten up on the crankshaft it's a common problem for fatigue or a starter hang up. if its the drive plate you will also need to check the complete drive line for wear ( all u joints and drive shaft straightness and balance). and also check to make sure the bell housing cover is not dented and it hits the convertor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts