El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gentlemen welcome
Rats Nest. Look close at the picture and you will see the nest on the left of the air cleaner.
We have 2 elkys and are making 1. Lots of pictures and details will follow. Right now the focus is to get it moving and stopping and SAFE to drive. My son Tiny-80 will also be updating this thread as well. Here is what we are starting with??

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It’s alive sort of.
The donor motor is ? sick
The previous owner said it smoked but didn’t mention the knocking. So we will try and awaken the 305 in the beige one ☝ Pray it runs. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ?
We got a battery on the beige one and got it to turn I’ve so it’s not locked up.
I turned on the lights and it has headlights but not tail lights no brake lights no license plate light no horn and only 1 parking light on the front. This is gonna be fun??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep also the rear harness connection by left rear tire frame rail area are known for bad connections
We did get the beige one cranked today. For sitting 14 years it didn’t sound too bad??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update...
We will update here on progress Tiny is learning the forum rules. Apologies Randy and Ken?

I did some trading and scored a set of S10 rims and good tires. On the bad side I discovered the 80 elky still has standard wheel studs. But the m12 lug nuts are very close in thread’’hence’’ I ran all 20 lug nuts down with a impact and ruined all the studs and lug nuts??it needed new rotors anyway but the rear axle may not accommodate the m12 studs so I’ll have to have these redrilled?
I also scored a set of old school slots 4 matching and 2 extra rear slot wheels for the slicks ? when we solidify that deal I’ll post pics but for now here is a few pics . Thanks for following along as turn up the wick on this soon ??

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update ?
Minoridertim stopped by and helped pull the heads off the brown elcamino. Turns out the motor has a broke rod which resulted in 2 bent valves and a cracked piston. We got the motor running in the beige one and it sounds good for sitting up so long it needs a fuel pump tho.
keep checking in for updates soon ...cheers...✝??

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
love them old school cragar wheel that were on the car. you gonna stay with the s10 wheels or are they temporary till you get further along?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there. Thanks for following our progress. The old school rocket wheels are gone?
However the S10 wheels are temporary. We scored a deal on some old school mag wheels. A set of 4 for daily driver and a extra set of rear wheels for the slicks??
They say on here no pics or it never happened. Well I should have something to show next week ??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New update: Spark plugs and wires: So this happened today.
We swapped out the 16 year old plugs and hobbled together spark plug wires. We also broke out the shop vac and cleaned up the intake and front frame. We named it rats nest for a reason?
Anyways the difference is amazing. It starts with just a bump of the key ? and we didn’t use a timing light or vacuum gauge YET. And we added some oil too?
And that’s without dumping out the tank or rebuilding the carburetor...Here are a few pictures from today?

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine has that same ground running to the alternator bracket, I was pretty sure that was wrong. I thought he ground was always supposed to go to the block.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine is a 1980, yours the same year?
The distributor looks to be off too, generally the cap sits a little more parallel to the fire wall.
but hey if its working leave it alone lol.

Congrats on gettng a heartbeat from her though. Now the fun begins. I would go ahead and pick up an ignition control module cause its gonna go out when you least expect it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine is a 1980, yours the same year?
The distributor looks to be off too, generally the cap sits a little more parallel to the fire wall.
but hey if its working leave it alone lol.

Congrats on gettng a heartbeat from her though. Now the fun begins. I would go ahead and pick up an ignition control module cause its gonna go out when you least expect it.
Good morning and thanks for following our build thread.
We have a complete parts car so I’ll be carrying a spare distributor wherever we go!
Yea the dizzy is off but it starts with just a touch of the key. We have yet to use a timing light or vacuum gauge but I think it is real close??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another update: We swapped the upper hose and chrome water neck off the donor car:
We also picked up a new 3 inch tall air filter. Tiny cleaned up the air cleaner lid? We found out the drop base bottom interferes with the carb linkage. So we went to Day Motorsports and got a flat air filter base and some spark plug wire separators. Didn’t work on it yesterday just a parts run.
Today we put the flat base on and adjusted the idle mixture screws. The distributor has build up and the vacuum advance won’t move the reluctor wheel to advance the timing but that’s another project for another day ?
Stay tuned ??

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Saturday’s progress:
We got the brown elky up in the air and took the wheels off. Inspected the rotors and drums but they are not gonna be able to be used. We did get the exhaust cut off and the hedders off of it. Shout out to minoridertim for bringing his sawzall to get the job done. Traded the almost new front shocks for a good used distributor. The ones we have the reluctor ring is gummed up and the vacuum advance pot can’t overcome the stuck arm. Shoutout to minoridertim for the parts swap??

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts