El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
We been working on it off and on the last few days after work and got the transmission out of the donor car today. The fluid looks great and no shiny glitter so we are gonna say a prayer and stab it in the beige one tomorrow afternoon ???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
Here is a look at the slotted rims that Robert Lachance @HKDUP87 was running a couple years ago.
For several years the slicks mounted on the slotted rims would be stored and attached to the roll cage in the bed.
We would swap them at the track, and then swap back for the drive back to his home.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Youbre
Ah photo shop, good luck with that
That is a real picture with real tires and oh a real car. The bolt pattern is wrong that’s why it’s leaned up against the car and it came of a 4x4 Chevy truck.
I have pics of my other elky with slicks also I suppose those were photoshopped as well??

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here is a look at the slotted rims that Robert Lachance @HKDUP87 was running a couple years ago.
For several years the slicks mounted on the slotted rims would be stored and attached to the roll cage in the bed.
We would swap them at the track, and then swap back for the drive back to his home.
Yes sir I am familiar with that build. Our plan is to build a street/strip toy that will run 12s on the motor with pump gas??

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
If I remember correctly the Hoosier 10 inch slicks fit OK possibly with rolling the fender lip.
Robert @HKDUP87 and Dale @novelle may have had to change to longer//stronger wheel studs,
They spent a lot of time doing body work, grafting front fender opening to the rear at higher point to get the 11" to fit.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
There is another build thread for Michelle's truck.
The info is very good, yet PhotoBucket did not help things.

I believe she and @David.C are in the Central Texas area.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
we got the transmission in and almost ready for the driveshaft I went to bolt up the converter and the bolt pattern is different the 305 has the 153 tooth and the 350 has 168 have to pull transmission out again and swap flywheel and starter?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
UPDATE:::
We got the transmission out and back in yesterday. Swapped the flywheel and starter from the 350 to the 305.
We got the transmission back in at 12:45 and it was looking promising that we could get it on the road. We didn’t get the brakes sorted out as we ran out of time. We did get the wheels that we traded for delivered and purchased new lugnuts. We will tackle the brakes later today.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We got the wheels and tires delivered yesterday. Thanks to minoridertim for the trade. We will be using some wheels from a Astro van for the rear slicks like we did on our last elcamino. Picked up a new set of lugnuts and some other goodies .

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sunday progress ...
We replaced some damaged wheel studs on the rear end. Swapped the master cylinder off the donor car and got the front brakes working but can’t get any fluid to the rear brakes.
I’ll buy a new master cylinder and try again. And the rear lights began working mysteriously as did the windshield wipers?
This car been sitting up for a while so who knows ??

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,830 Posts
Youbre

That is a real picture with real tires and oh a real car. The bolt pattern is wrong that’s why it’s leaned up against the car and it came of a 4x4 Chevy truck.
I have pics of my other elky with slicks also I suppose those were photoshopped as well??
lol all I was saying is that The pic looked fake, there’s no way a tire that size would fit, and be that close to the bed rail, of course unless you tubbed the heck out of it. With out the wheel opening it looks like a photoshop job plus I only saw the one pic at low quality.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You nailed it 464elky it was the rear rubber line collapsed internally. We replaced everything while we had it apart. Drums, wheel cylinders, new shoes, new brake line. We did find a tip for the rear clips that hold the wheel cylinders on.We removed the rear shock and springs to gain some room to swing a hammer. 1 1/8 th socket fits perfectly and for the rubber line we removed the top bolt for the upper left rear end control arm and moved it up and out of the way. A little PB Blaster and it wasn’t bad. Now we have great brakes and some decent shocks.
Shoutout to minoridertim for bringing over the sawzall 😎
We also cut off the old turbo mufflers and tail pipes to make room for the new exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So this happened today
New inner and outer tie rods with adjuster sleeves new idler arm and center link new sway bar end links new front pads and calipers not shown will also replace the rotors and we hope to have it at the alignment shop and exhaust shop in the next week or so 🏁😎

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
We got a lot of small things accomplished today. We fixed a crack in the header panel. Replaced the corner lights. Got the emergency brake cable freed up a little bit, I’m sure it will free up more.
Swapped the worn out and heavy clutch fan for a lite weight nylon flex fan and a 2 inch aluminum spacer. Removed the a/c condenser. Also we installed a billet distributor and adjustable vacuum advance the other day.
We plan on sending the carburetor off to Mt.man Fuel Systems for a complete rebuild including new bushings and plating.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 90 Posts