El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all....
I've been trying to track down a rattle in my '82.... Ends up it's the tailgate rattling ; the bolt is not tight in the bracket . I took the latch brackets off, and tried to adjust it , but no luck.... the only way I could get it tight was to rack the taolgate , w/1 bracket all the way out and the other all the way in ; I figured that was not realy a good solution....

My tail agte doesn't have any 'bumpers' anywhere, and no 'weatherstripping/padding/etc' on the side rails, I just have a lower rubber seal, that's it.

Do they make felts/weatherstrips/bumpers/whatever to tighten things up? (the latch & bracket are in good shape). If so, can y'all point me to them ( I've looked)..... if not, What you y'all do to keep your tailgate from rattlin?

thanks,
jeff
Orlando

·
Banned
881 Posts
82HotRodWannabe said:
My tail agte doesn't have any 'bumpers' anywhere, and no 'weatherstripping/padding/etc' on the side rails, I just have a lower rubber seal, that's it. Do they make felts/weatherstrips/bumpers/whatever to tighten things up? (the latch & bracket are in good shape). If so, can y'all point me to them ( I've looked)..... if not, What you y'all do to keep your tailgate from rattlin?
The local Pep Boys sells all different types of weather stripping. I found a roll of generic weather strip that works fine for the side tailgate rails. It came on a six foot roll but you only need about 12" on either side. IIRC, it cost about $13 for the roll. This will help to get rid of the tailgate rattle.

BTW, this is the same "El Camino tailgate seal" that some people on ebay were selling for $20 a set. :roll:

Try J.C. Whitney too. They sell lots of different types of weather stripping.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here's my two alternatives. 1, buy some rubber hose, might have to experiment with different sizes, slit it it and install it on the flange. 2, weld your tailgate shut like I did, a lot more work and definitely more expensive but ??? Check out my tailgate at okhuskers.com/elmpala

·
Registered
380 Posts
tailgate rattling

I just went to the local homestore/lumberyard and bought some closed cell foam caulking backer rod in a 5/8" diameter.

This stuff is cheap, doesn't absorb water, and works as well as weatherstripping on the tailgate.

You will either need to glue it with a waterproof glue to the tailgate flange or to the body where the tailgate flange meets it (thats where I put mine).

This stuff is a round, gray, closed cell foam that is used for the purpose of stuffing in a crack to help take up space that you want to caulk that is too wide or deep to fill up with caulk alone, such as in a driveway or fireplace chimney, etc. Worked great for me!

·
Banned
881 Posts
elmpala said:
weld your tailgate shut like I did
Although it's a drastic alternative, I think it looks pretty cool. The Corvette tail-lights and the roll pan are done so well that they look like they came stock from the factory.

Does the bed double as a jacuzzi? :wink:

:mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts