El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'86 El Camino in progress.
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance, and if I have missed a post with this information, please let me know.

86 el camino, stock.

I was hoping to have a bit more time before I dumped a huge wad of cash on this, but because of previous owners kludges, (and a shop tossing on an incorrect new carb) I essentially need to have the top end of the 305 rebuilt, and Im betting that the rest of it needs it as well. Not worth the cash.

I can get a 4.8/5.3L 2000-2002 vortec engine from a Silverado with a matching trans (guessing 4L60E) when I have cash on hand and a way to put it in the back of my truck.

I have researched what I am going to need to get this done, but I lack the knowledge and experience to know what exactly I need. I have upgraded the radiator, and will get a proper fan set up when I figure out the rest of it.

Has anyone had experience or knows of the best swap kits that are available for putting this engine/transmission combination into an 86 G body El camino? I have found several, but I dont know enough to know which is the best bang for the buck, as it were. Any thoughts and links would be much appreciated!

Also, I have found several EFI ready fuel tank/pump combos, but none list the El-camino on compatible models. Is this a model specific issue?

Also, where do I look to find a driveshaft that will fit this upgrade?

Thank you,

·
Registered
'86 El Camino in progress.
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information, and sorry for the late reply. Work is a bit crazy lately. Hate to say it, but I am having the swap done professionally, as I lack the knowhow and time to do it myself. Am kicking around the idea of rebuilding the stock 305 just to learn how.

Anyways, it seems that a crash has lost the links I had saved for a few sites that offered swap kits; mounts, headers, the whole 9 yards, hence my questions here.

The engine and transmission should be essentially turnkey, electronics included, and little to no work needed other than fitting it in and bolting it up, and I am hoping for as much one stop shopping as I can get as fixing all the other little things adds up quick, and I am having the suspension upgraded at the same time (easy to find kits for that!) Im just trying to avoid as much of the inevitable cost cascade as I can, and avoiding things like having to notch the frame to fit the AC compressor to fit an LM7 into a G-body. And I just need headers that will fit. Have seen some complete exhaust systems for the truck my upgrade is coming out of for very cheap, so pretty much cut and paste for that part of it, plus the cost of the glass packs.

I will definitely check out the Holley kits and spend some quality time with my shop to figure out the best way to go with this, and will find those sites offering swap kits, and report back with that information.

Thanks you, and will update when I can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts