El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a 383 stroker in a 78 Elky that had a 305. The rear A/C compressor bracket will not fit with headers. Does anyone know where I can find a rear bracket for the compressor?

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
blackstallion said:
I am installing a 383 stroker in a 78 Elky that had a 305. The rear A/C compressor bracket will not fit with headers. Does anyone know where I can find a rear bracket for the compressor?
Mr. Gasket part number 6677, chrome rear lower compresser bracket.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Robert,

Is that bracket for the Long compressor ot the "Radial" like the 80s had??? Or did I have those types wrong.

I had to make a bracket for the one I have and it looks like crap and it throws the belt so it basically doesn't work. I've checked with March and all they make is one for the Sandan (sp) compressors not the factory. I don't like the top bracket for the 80 it is big and way over done and ugly.

You being in the AC business (all or some) I figure you'd know best. Have any thoughts on that? Another issue is the Power steering pump bracket attaches to the lower bracket the one I have puts the pully on the PS pump off just enough to cause the belt to come off.

I had planned on getting the bracket that March sells for the 80 & the 76 to take care of the PS pump issue but I'd have no support for the lower part of the AC then.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Pete, the Mr. gasket rear bracket is for the older "Axial" A6 compresser, (the long one) to be used with headers. Shouldn't need other than stock brackets for the newer "Radial" R4 (Flat, squatty one) compresser.
Not sure about your P/S pump issue, do you have a pic of the setup?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The R4 setup off the 80 doesn't fit the 76 correctly. the 80 got new stuff well except for the PS bracket so far. The 80's rear bracket doesn't fit over the headers. I opened the paert that goes over the exhaust so that my tubes would fit through. Then it sat too close to the block, so I tried to find some solid spacers to correct that but you have to take it out to a point where it normally fits on a stock engine. Then my headers block a hole partially on the head so that part of the bracket can't be fastened. That piece is the tensioner for the PS pump so it flopps around. It ended up being a real cludge.

I want a "Bolt On Soultion" that looks nice and doesn't require a lot of extra stuff or that Sanden Compressor. Changing that then you have to re-build the hoses and it is just a Cost, Cost, Cost situation and the compressors are way more expensive than the stock GM / Delco, HR compressors. So I am being cheap with my get around Elky.

The big reason I haven't gone to a Bone yars to pick up a Serpentine set up is because I am a cheap basterd. I don't want to buy another Water Pump, AC Compressor, Alt Pully and Crank Pully etc... I am one bracket shy of having it all working. I just don't like what it looks like. That big old top bracket looks like it would hold up a tank and no amount of paint or what ever will make it look nice.

Well I just figured I'd ask. If someone would know I figured you would.

Thanks anyway.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
It's been awhile since I've done a setup like yours, but if I remember correctly, I've had to build a rear P/S bracket.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I think I am going to attempt to build a new bracket set up for that. I am not all that good with Fabracations. I did lousy in Wood shop so I can imagine what it is going to look like being metal. But It shouldn't take much just something to hold the compressor and a tensioner. The March Bracket for the PS Pump I had already planned on buying so I'll live with what I have for now and order the PS bracket from Jegs or somewhere then fab out the AC stuff.

If it is a complete flop then Nothing is really lost. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts