El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Yeah...Aw shucks is when it all leaks off after time...I keep mine set at about 25. That is just before it would start to raise the rear (empty). Minimum is 10, so see what feels best to you driving.

:beer:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm interested in seeing some of the replies you recieve. You don't say much about year, make, model, etc. I think you will have to find the right amount of air by trial & error. Try 25 lbs & see what that does to the back end. Did it lift it any? I'd avoid lifting up the back to much. Drive it & see how it handles. Adjust accordingly.

Good luck
~JM~

·
6,209 Posts
Uh....~JM~....Year, make, and model show on the Right side of anyone's posts......Most designate if they are talking of something different..:poke:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Well, his info block says '86 SS, not that the SS would really matter to the rear end shucks.:poke:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Junk the air shocks and go with coil overs. They are a much better ride!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I run the minimum which is 25 psi. A enuf to level the auto or give it a slight rake.

Doug

·
6,209 Posts
:beer: No worries!
Just a note for the one with the question, and all...

Original door sticker says minimum 10 PSI with vehicle unloaded
Maximum 65 PSI if inflated before loading.
90 PSI if inflated after loading.

·
Registered
74 Posts
How much psi have you added in the past to handle a load, how heavy was the load & what where the results?

Thanks
~JM~

·
6,209 Posts
I cranked it up to 45 PSI once before picking up 3 squares of shingles. The ride was not long and it was fine. The 25 PSI I keep it at is usually enough for anything I might add to the bed around town.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I keep mine at 45psi ALL the time. It's too stiff and rides like a cement block if I put more than that in them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
While on the topic of the OEM Air Shocks... (Hope this isn't a hijacking!) One of mine leaks out FAST! Can these shocks be rebuilt, or do they have to be outright replaced?

·
Registered
257 Posts
While on the topic of the OEM Air Shocks... (Hope this isn't a hijacking!) One of mine leaks out FAST! Can these shocks be rebuilt, or do they have to be outright replaced?
Where does it leak from? It could just b the end on ur line kit is cracked $13 n change at o'reillys just looked two days ago.

·
932 Posts
How much psi have you added in the past to handle a load, how heavy was the load & what where the results?

Thanks
~JM~

I have a set of kyb airshocks in the rear , I had to haul a motorcycle that was over 500 pounds and pumped to just over 90lbs after loading . Elky handled great , didn't really notice the extra weight while driving.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have superlift airshocks on my 77 classic, i run it at 90 to 100 pounds(always have stuff/parts in the bed and pull a trailer with it regularly) i like the jacked up in the back look but for cruising i don't think it would be comfortable at over 45 or 50 pounds, it rides nice there.(on a side note, you could install a compressor and some switches in the cab and set it where you like the ride)a lot of gm minivans (ie lumina or transport)had these compressors built in from the factory)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts