El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a total brake job--front and rear on my 87 El Camino. In addition to new master cylinder, I replaced rotors, calipers, and pads on the front and drums, shoes, cylinders, and springs etc. on the rear. I also replaced all brake cables and brake lines. The brake pedal feels solid and vehicle stops properly.

With that said, when reversing, I sense some level of resistance and can feel and hear what sounds like the rear brakes are binding. I say binding because what I feel is resistance to backward motion then no resistance...something releases.

Tomorrow, I will pull the drums and probably take apart each rear brake assembly then put them back. Although I didn't notice a difference between the shoes, I seem to recall brake shoes being designated as primary and secondary shoes. I am going to check to see if each shoe is in the proper position...primary in front and secondary toward rear.

If the shoes are correctly installed, what else would cause binding?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
The shoe with the most lining goes to the rear.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I like to do drum brakes one side at a Time. That way, I can check my work against the correct assembly on the other side.

·
Super Moderator
2,126 Posts
Diddo,

I am having a similar issue. mine is brake drag. The manual says to adjust the e'brake before trying to adjust the rear shoes.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting ready to go to the shop...a friend of mine mentioned that the different shoe size USED to be but isn't any more the standard. I will verify that once I remove the drum. I will also check if ebrake is releasing and cable setting are okay.

Way back in the 60's, when I used to hang around a machine shop and NAPA parts store, I kind of recall them pre-fitting and taking off the beveled/squared edges on the ends of the shoes. I'm wondering if that is causing the binding and with time will go away. Now that I think about it, those were the days when brake linings were mostly asbestos-based. Yikes!!! If it ain't asbestos, the fumes from welding galvanized metal, or dipping hands in solvents will get us...what's a car, wrench turner like us old guys to do :sad:

Mr. Fin, how long since you had the brakes done and brakes dragging?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Sometimes if the flat type bar part that goes for the emergency brake, it connects the front shoe and the rear shoe. Hope that is explained enough. If it is put in backwards it may cause the symptoms you're describing. There may be some issues with the adjuster also when you're in reverse and stop completely that is when the self adjuster tightens up. Just things I've learned.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mystery is solved! I pulled the drums and found that I had installed the shoe with the longer pad in the front rather than in the rear position. Only good thing was that I had done them the same on both sides. So, I switched the shoes and will do a road test tomorrow.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, the problem of my brakes binding while reversing still has not gone away. Tomorrow, I am going to refer to the Service Manual and follow the steps outlined there. Hopefully, it is a step in the installation that I am overlooking and causing the problem.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Status quo...I didn't find anything significant. The binding is still there. So, now what? What could it be? Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try baking off the rear brake adjustment, until the wheels spin free with no drag at all, and see what happens after to do a few days of normal driving.
Since there is a self adjuster in there, the wheels should fix them selves in short order.
Bobmo

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Bob...I will give your suggestion a shot. If I recall correctly, the way the self-adjuster works is only when I am reversing...correct? So, could it be that my brakes are already loose and the noise and binding is the result of the self-adjuster doing it's job?

Also, last night, I was wondering whether the gear lube I had used was causing the posi-traction to bind. Although the rear end had been sitting for several years, the gear lube was clean and not dark colored. I don't know whether the oil had been drained as part of the effort to sell the unit. Not knowing when it had been filled, I opted to not re-use it but instead filled the rear end with some AMS Oil Synthetic gear lube which I had. My online searches found that synthetics have the needed additives and qualities for use in posi rear ends. However, because I've had this lube for many years, I am now wondering whether the additives get old over time. Would it be okay to add some new additive? Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
My understanding of synthetic oils is they don't break down over time sitting. There may be some with hard running but nothing I would lose sleep over. Was this a newer rear end that had been sitting somewhere or with the car that has been sitting?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Randy,

The rear end was definitely not newer...more like older and sitting off of a vehicle for quite awhile. It was made available when the owner's widow wanted to "clean-up" and a family friend served as the seller. Thanks for the info on synthetics not degrading over time which is consistent with my research and discussions with a few other wrench-turners.

During a longer road test today, I experienced and observed the following:
-- could not discern when the transmission shifted into the next higher gear which is likely due to slippage
-- the transmission would kick down into a lower gear when the pedal was stomped
-- most significant, there was a noticeable whine whenever I let my foot off of the accelerator.
One reminder, this vehicle was last registered and likely driven sometime in 2014. It was towed and left sitting until I purchased it in February 2018.

My focus is not going to shift to the 200r4 transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Bob...I will give your suggestion a shot. If I recall correctly, the way the self-adjuster works is only when I am reversing...correct? So, could it be that my brakes are already loose and the noise and binding is the result of the self-adjuster doing it's job?

Also, last night, I was wondering whether the gear lube I had used was causing the posi-traction to bind. Although the rear end had been sitting for several years, the gear lube was clean and not dark colored. I don't know whether the oil had been drained as part of the effort to sell the unit. Not knowing when it had been filled, I opted to not re-use it but instead filled the rear end with some AMS Oil Synthetic gear lube which I had. My online searches found that synthetics have the needed additives and qualities for use in posi rear ends. However, because I've had this lube for many years, I am now wondering whether the additives get old over time. Would it be okay to add some new additive? Any other thoughts?
Your right that the adjusters only work when you back up and pump your brakes.
The adjusters shouldn't be causing a binding if they are loose.
I'd try loosening them up and see if your binding goes away and if it comes back after time.
Bobmo

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Gm / Ac delco Limited slip { posi -traction } axle lubricant additive 4 oz. Gm # 10-4003 , # 88900330 . I would NOT be sure that using Synthetic only is compatiable with old school REAR . I would need someone with more know how on this issue ...

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
I would use only Hypoid 90 in that rear end. I'm pretty sure thats the one. I do know that my new 84 model post popped like crazy when I changed the 90 weight oil and didn't put the additive in it ! Put the additive in and it didn't take but a couple of turns and it was quiet again.:banana:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts