El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just replaced brakes all around on my 81 El Camino SS. The front brakes work great but the rear drums are not working. I have them adjusted out properly and also replaced the proportioning valve and wheel cylinders. When i bleed the rear fluid comes out so i know there getting fluid. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Well it depends on your definition of adjusted properly. Smaller shoe to the front of the car, right?
Anyway assuming it's back together correctly. Adjust the shoes so the drum just fits over them. Then from under the car, make sure car is supported safely, adjust the shoes a bit tighter until you feel a slight drag.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
you could have a bad master.whatdoes the pedal feel like.the rear barkes give you your pedal height. try jacking it up in the rear and see if the wheels stop when you step on the brakes.if the pedal is low and soft you either have air in the system or a bad component,or the brakes are out of adjustment.make sure the parking brake is fully released before you adjust them,adjust them then step on the brakes a couple times and readjust them again .they will loosen up when the shoes settle into thier natural position,sometimes requireing one or more readjustments.if you bled them then adjusted them you may need to rebleed them again. some times the air can get trapped in and need a pressure bleeder to get it out

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pedal feels a little soft but not bad. I have a lift so i can easily see and feel that as someone steps on the breaks they are not working. When i go to bleed the rear the pedal does not move or sink to the floor but i am getting fluid

· Deputy Director Region 8
2,942 Posts
Are you blocking off the metering pin in the proportion valve down by the frame drivers side?? While you have it up in the air have someone press the pedal, you will see a pin come out, very small, you need to put a c clamp in front of that so you get full flow to the rear brakes,, or use a pressure bleeder,, if the pedal seems a little soft I would bet there is air in the rears, I bought a power bleeder and I have never had a good pedal until I used this, Motive products makes it,, and I dont have to have anyone pump & hold,, Matty man

· Registered
2,566 Posts
The pedal should drop when the bleeder is open and the fluid rushes out. Crack the line where it goes into the proportioning valve and see if the pedal drops as fluid comes out there. Then try it again on the other side of the valve going to the rear brakes.

· Registered
578 Posts
If everything else checks out,the last item to look at replacing would be the booster or it's check valve.

· Premium Member
6,132 Posts
The rubber hose going to the rear member can do what you are describing also. May look fine on the outside but has died internally. I see that problem way too often.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
It's a pretty good rule of thumb that whatever the last part you replaced was, that's the part most likely to be causing a problem.

Have you jacked up the rear end and checked to see if the applying the brakes stops both wheels?

If it does, it may be that you still have an air bubble in your line somewhere. The "slightly soft" pedal makes that seem a likelihood.

Did you put on a new master cylinder?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.