El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

Can anyone give me any info for a rear end change for my 71, what rear end will work i.e. a rear out of a 84 regal and if will be a direct bolt up. the rear in mine is a 10 bolt 2.56, im looking for a 3.08 on up to maybe a 3.42. 8)

how far up in years can I go, am I limited to 71 to 72? thanks in advance for your input.

Brian

·
Registered
165 Posts
71Sprint said:
Hey guys and gals,

Can anyone give me any info for a rear end change for my 71, what rear end will work i.e. a rear out of a 84 regal and if will be a direct bolt up. the rear in mine is a 10 bolt 2.56, im looking for a 3.08 on up to maybe a 3.42. 8)

how far up in years can I go, am I limited to 71 to 72? thanks in advance for your input.

Brian
The 78-87's are narrower than the 68-72's....if you're looking for a direct swap, stick with the same gen rear and get a 12 bolt. Not sure which ones earlier than yours will fit, but someone will know.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
No the rear out of the 84 Regal will not fit without extensive modifications, and is wider, which means you won't be able to get as wide a wheel to fit in the wheelwell. You would be better off searching for a 12 bolt from 68-72, or if that is not possible rebuilt the 10 bolt that you have in there now. The 10 bolt that you currently have is a stronger rear end than the 10 bolt out of the 84 Regal anyway due to ring gear size.

·
Registered
61 Posts
According to my GM parts catalog you are safe with a 68-72. Any 12 bolt is a rare find these days in the self serve junkyards. Good luck and always ask to inspect axle bearing journals before buying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
rear end

I had the same problem on my 70 had a 10 bolt 8.2 3.08 open i had a eaton possi unit , agear change to 4.10 & a rebuild kit installed at a local rear end shop cost me 867.00

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I have heard people say that a 2nd Gen Elky rear will also fit 3rd and vice versa, but I have never seen it in writing anywhere, (anyone here know for sure) even so, finding a 12 bolt is like finding gold these days. Check Swap Meets, and bring a big check. Moser and Currie will sell you one...approx $2000+. I guess that if you found one at a swap meet, by the time you have it rebuilt, your probably gonna spend close to that anyway. The money pit just never ends!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Brian,

I'd like to suggest something a bit radical. Rebuild that 10 bolt 8.2 with a new Richmond Gear set, a Richmond Rear end Rebuild kit and a Power Trax unit. Total cost will be about $800.00, give or take a dollar or some.

If you are running an Automatic then what you have will be good enough to deal with the power - promise. If you're running a standard then forget what I just said and get a 12 bolt. What you are talking, difference wise, is only about 2 ~ 3" difference at best in Ring Gear sizes. And not that much stronger. Automatics absorb a lot of inertia that, for a standard, is passed on to the rear end in torque. The rear end you have is capable, stock, of dealing with about 350 Lb/Ft. of torque constantly and as much as 450 to 500 Lb/ft. off and on without damaging it. The gear set and rebuild kit from Richmond Gear will give you more ability to handle torque because it is stronger than stock. The PowerTrax Locker acts like a posi and a locker and doesn't give you the blues while street driving like a real locker does.

It is just a suggestion. Good luck with what ever you end up doing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've been through quite a few rearends over the years in my '64 and here's what I've found:

64-67 are the same length, about 53 1/4 backing plate to backing plate

68-72 are the same length, about 54 1/2 backing plate to backing plate

running an early rearend in a 68-72 will allow a little more room for rear tires with proper backspacing on the wheels

dragraced on both 10 and 12 bolts, only blew up 1 10 bolt, that was behind a built 230 I6 with a munchie in a '64 Nova wagon

12 bolts aren't that hard to come by if you know where to look

be careful of BOP 12 bolts-until 1971, some rear covers had 12 bolts, but the carriers were only 10, no better than what you probably have already

1 - 8 of 8 Posts