El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It took a lot longer than expected and of course more money than budgeted, but I finally got my Elky back on the road. Everything seems to be working as intended. No grinding noises, squeals, etc... I changed my peg leg 2.73 geared rear end into a 3.23 posi tracked monster(well as much as a 7.5 rear end can be, lol). The reason why I am real nervous is this is the first time I have ever rebuilt a rear end. I had my dad's help, but it was his first time to do such a project as well. I just hope my pattern was good enough and all tolerances are within tolerance.

I cleaned the bottom of the car and put rust kill on before painting it black. It still had most of it's original undercoating so I try not to scrap any of it off. I replace all control arms with Umi Performance (http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8) control arms, bought new springs, added a rear sway bar and added air bags inside the springs.

Here are some pictures, Enjoy!

Here is a picture of my rear end before I pulled it out.

Here is my rear end and every part going into my project.

A closer look of everything I am replacing.

I actually got the pattern a little better than this picture, but this is the last picture I took of the pattern.

Just painted.

A little video of the rear end before installing.

Getting it closer to car.

Here are a few picture of it install and finished, finally!!!

That's my dad checking everything over. I didn't let him do a whole lot other than give me ideas and advice. He had a heart attack and open heart surgery in March. I couldn't have done it without him. Love you dad.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will see what I can do, hopefully tomorrow. I want to jack it back up and recheck everything and make sure it is nice and tight. It rides so much smoother now. I love it.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
So how does it feel with the new ratio? Is it a very noticable difference? I guess too soon to tell about MPG, but I wouldn't think that would change much, right?

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sandblaster - I will try to get pictures of the hangers this weekend. Just too much going on during the week.

Bobby78 - I can't tell anything until I break in the new gears. I was told to not drive over 50mph till I have 500 miles on the new rear end. As of the end of today I should have around 300 miles on it. I do know that my speedo is way off. I have to take it to my tranny guy to get new speedo gear installed. Right now when I am doing 50mph my speedo says 65mph.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.