El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should you change the oil in the rear end of a 5th generation elky? Also what would be the best brand to put back in?

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I suspect that most people change the oil when the rear end breaks.
Any name-brand gear oil is adequate. Use your favorite.

Jack

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think my seal is going bad and wanted to put a new one on just to be safe and therefore would have to change the oil anyways and did not know if it should be a regular service check from time to time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a plan thank you.Don't plan to race now but maybe someday. . .:dontknow:

·
Supporting Member
4,524 Posts
If you have positraction, be sure to add in the Posi Additive. I've used the ones from the auto stores, but without much success. I hear the GM brand is the best.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
This why you are having a seal leak,, nobody seems to never change the fluid until there is an issue,, I am a firm believer in changing it every 30K to 50K miles, I had a Astro van that when I sold it at 205,000 miles and I serviced the 3rd memeber at least 5 times, its cheap and the gear oil does wear out and all the FOD and small metal shavings will shorten the life of the rear end. I use Amsoil in all of my vehicles and use the 90W synthetic gear oil. Change it more often if you tow,, the most often over looked fluids are the rear end,, along with tranny fluid, another one I change out often,, power steering and brake fluid, change them out and chances are your car will live long and prosper. Routine maintenance is still important IMO and I keep my cars for 10+ years, that astro van had the OEM tranny and engine & rear end and was still going strong when she left,, Matty man

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
After you remove the cover and drain the existing lube take a clean rag and take a wipe inside the bottom of the housing. What you will find on the rag is the reason for changing it...tiny metal particles, dirt,a little water from condensation and grime. Great thing to do for your rear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok guys don't make fun of me:nanawrench:I change all fluids once a year , this maybe over kill ! but thats what i do:nanawrench:I use GM fluids in my GM rear ends and Ford rear end fluids in my fords and i use Posi Additive in both:beer: yes i change brake fluid,power steering,tras fluid :nanawrench:have a great day

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
It might be overkill but it has to work to your advantage with fewer breakdowns and problems. It als gets you up close and personal with your ride. That is how problems are detected early.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What does the perfect launch Diff cover do to help change it? What is the capacity of the rear end? Also what is a good type of sealer for the new seal? It is a stock elky rear end to clarify.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What does the perfect launch Diff cover do to help change it? What is the capacity of the rear end? Also what is a good type of sealer for the new seal? It is a stock elky rear end to clarify.
It has a drain plug; and fill plug in the diff cover. You don't have to pull the cover and change gaskets. it also has two bearing support bolts. Mine took 2 qts. (Ran out the fill plug). I don't use a sealer, just a good felpro blue gasket.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66667/

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
This is what I did when I put my posie and gears in.
This cover has 2 bolts that preload the bearing caps. 10ft pounds
My 12bolt took 2 1/2 Qts and I used Royal Purple synthetic.
It has a drain plug on the bottom so you don't have to pull the cover.
Sorry for the bad pic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is what I did when I put my posie and gears in.
This cover has 2 bolts that preload the bearing caps. 10ft pounds
My 12bolt took 2 1/2 Qts and I used Royal Purple synthetic.
It has a drain plug on the bottom so you don't have to pull the cover.
Sorry for the bad pic.
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y379/centex396/035-1.jpg
Royal Purple is good stuff. I have it in my 87 GMC Sierra, Couldn't find any when I did my El Camino, and used Valvoline Syn

·
Registered
555 Posts
It really depends on the application and how much stress is put on the diff. I'd say anywhere between 10-40K miles.

I like synthentic oils like Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple. If you don't tow or race with your car and ran one of these oils, you'd be good for a very long time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts