El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. New to this forum. Hope to get alot of info from here. I want to swap out my rear end with another that has posi and disc brakes. Is there any rear end that I can use that will be easily installed without to much custom work done? Someone had mentioned a old Cadillac rear end. Dont remember the year but I dont know if this is even true. I swapped out my 305 with a 350 and also installed a turbo 400 tranny. Any feedback would be greatly appreciatted. Thanks.

8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to ECC, I'm new here too.

Not sure about a rear end with disk brakes, but I bet there are conversion kits out there as long as you are willing to dish out the dough.

But, for a drum rear end, I found out from this site that the G body El Caminos (5th Gen.) share the same rear end specs of other G bodies. Therefor you can swap a Monte Carlo SS rear end in with no mods. It would have better gear ratio and most likely posi. if you come across a Monte Carlo SS rear end, turn the axels and check that both axels turn in the same direction to be sure that it has posi.

Another option would be to locate a Buick Gran National or T Type rear end (not always easy). Some Hurst Olds had this same rear end too. These rear ends are 8.5" ring gears and are much stronger than the original 7.5" rear ends. The only modification you would need to do to swap this rear end in would be to shorten your driveshaft 1 inch.

If your knowledge is there doing this kind of stuff, you can also find a posi unit from a 3rd gen. Camaro, S10 pickup or the Monte Carlo SS and swap your carrier for the posi unit. If the knowledge is not there then take it to a Pro to install.

Good luck with your ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rear end from the 3rd gen Camaro won't fit, but the posi unit will. Infact from what others have said on another site, all the innards will fit, just reuse your axels for length.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
OddsNEnds said:
The rear end from the 3rd gen Camaro won't fit, but the posi unit will. Infact from what others have said on another site, all the innards will fit, just reuse your axels for length.
You have to watch the spline count on the axles. There were 26 on most G-bodys, and 28 on third gen camaro/firebird.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to start my looking right away. First choice would be the GN rear end. If there is no luck there going to go with the Monte SS rear end. I'm sure those are easier to find. Thanks again. I had posted in other chevy forums and nobody would reply.

·
Registered
342 Posts
There is no rear with disk brakes that will directly swap.

78-88 G body rears will interchange.

The 84-87 Gn and the 442/H-O have an 8.5 ring gear. They will also interchange but the driveshaft will have to be shortened 1". They are the ONLY ones to have the 8.5 rear.

The 84-87 GN had 3.42 gears and the 442/H-O had 3.73 both used the same 8.5 housing.

The 84-88 Monte SS is one to look for. The 84-85 had 3.42 gears and the 86-88 had 3.73.

Some of the BOP G-bodys with V6s had 3.23 gears.

As for posi few had it and most will be worn out by now and they will have to be replaced because they are not rebuildable.

For disk brakes I have a question first. Have you upgraded the front brakes to 11" or 12". If not don't upgrade the rear. You will have too much braking in the rear and in a hard stop the back end will try to come around and lead the car.

If you have upgraded the front brakes you can either upgrade the drums by putting in a pair of larger wheel cylinders from a manual brake S-10.

If you really want disk brakes there are a couple kits. The best is Baer. It runs about $800, it requires relocating the shocks.

All disk brake upgrades will include having to cut the axle flange down to fit inside the rotor.

Unless you really want the look the upgraded drum brakes will do everything you want them to along with the upgraded front brakes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am also in the process of looking at different rear ends for my 85. I might be buying a rear end out of an 84 Monte Carlo. Posi with 3.42 gears (I think). THe guy did say that since I am moving up from the stock open 2.41 that I will have to have the drive shaft cut 1 inch to fit. I am also planning on going to the local junk yard to look for G-body cars. mmeraz, I would be interested in what you decide to put in your car for future reference, especially with disc brakes. If I can't come up with the money for the new rear, it will be next years project. Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
" THe guy did say that since I am moving up from the stock open 2.41 that I will have to have the drive shaft cut 1 inch to fit."

Well that is only true if going from a 7.5 rear to an 8.5 rear. Gear ratio has nothing to do with driveshaft legnth.

If that rear is actually from an 84 SS it will bolt right in and it will be 3.42.

·
Banned
881 Posts
I've never seen a g-body 8.5" posi rear end in a junk yard. I've seen several at swap meets and most are selling for $700-800. The 7.5" posi is weaker but it's much easier to find and you can usually buy one for about $300.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find some detailed directions for swaping the rear end out? I plan on picking up a 1984 Monte rear (drum to drum) next week. I am not a master wrench turner, but I have spent considerable time working on cars. This will be the first time taking on a project like this though. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on photographing the entire process also. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just bought the rear end out of a 1984 Monte Carlo. Posi 3.42 Richmond gear. Needs a little care but should do the trick. Any suggestions on the swap or suggestions for upper/lower control arms and shocks would be appreciated. Howard offered up one link but it was not really what I was looking for (thannks though). I was looking at Jegs catalog and there seems to be alot of different parts out there. I guess I am just looking for a slight upgrade from the stock parts. Thanks for the help. I'll get some pics once I tear into this project.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another question. What is the type of fluid and capacity of the 1984 Monte rear and what amount of posi additive should be used. I am currently in the process of replacing the brakes and wire brushing the entire thing. I hope to get it in soon to make the last week of races at Joliet Motor Speedway's 1/4 mile in September. Thanks for the help. Pictures to come soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts