El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are working on his 1980 El Camino. It has a 350 crate motor, and we will be installing a 700R4 tranny. The rear axle is a stock, open diff unit (7.5" I believe). We need to chang gear ratios and install a posi unit.

I found a GM 10 bolt from a 1987 Camaro with 3.73 gears and posi. Will it drop in to the 1980 El Camino?

bowtie smile

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
check to see if it is a 26 spine on the spider gears if it is your in luck but a lot were 28 and they dont unless you pay for axles try a s-10 truck or s-10 blazer with a g80 code on the axle .

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If it's 28 splines you could always pickup a set of used grand national axles to throw in. People swap them for performance applications, but stockers would
Be a nice upgrade for his small block.

·
Premium Member
5,950 Posts
The way I read that is he is asking if the complete housing will bolt in. NO it is not a direct bolt in. The other guys are talking about just using the guts in your housing and the changes that might be needed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct guys, sorry if I was unclear...I found a complete rear axle assembly. I was hoping we could just drop out the stock one, install the one from the Camaro and be done. Too bad it won't work, cost was asking price $450.00. Wishful thinking on my part...

Rafael

:dontknow::beer:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys think the stock (7.5") rear will hold up ok with a posi unit and either 3.42 or 3.73 gears? Brett's El Camino has a 350 crate motor, will have the 700R4 tranny, 650 cfm 4 barrel, headers and duals. No racing, but cruising and showing off with occasional burnouts, etc. What are your thoughts guys?

:beer::dontknow:

·
Supporting Member
4,550 Posts
As long as you are not using slicks you should be OK. Look for a rear end from a MonteCarloSS- they are a direct bolt in, came in either 3.42 or 3.73, and most have Posi ( it was an option so check). Check out Montecarloss.com For Sale pages, or craigslist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts