El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my lights and turn signals work great. But, when the headlights are on, the front and rear left turn signals don't blink. Also with headlights on, rear left center light dims out when I press the brake. If you can help, please respond....

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
bad ground in the lamp housings

Might try removing the bulbs and housings and clean the light sockets real good.

These particular cars have an odd way of providing power to the lamps.
there is a pigtail with a special connector that slips into the housing just like a
bulb would fit into the other side.

On my car, the housings would not make a good solid ground to the body, no matter what I tried to do. I ended up connecting a wire from the housing to the body of the car.
And for the tailgate, I added a ground wire from the lamp housings to the main body, so that I did not have to depend on the tailgate making that connection thru the hinges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the respond,"Bryan59ec"... I will follow your advice and respond with my results... Great pic of your 1959 Elcamino. You can find a pic of my car in the 2012 calender... The yellow body with white top... It's not perfect, but I'm driving it....!!!! Thanks again

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
hwnbkr welcome to the site. I have to say 59 and 60 are my first choice for the ultimate elco. Black has always been my favorite color for a first gen just like all harleys should be black. But I must say the yellow makes the truck look less heavy and large,I really like it. I took a look at your picture on the calendar submiss but its pretty small res. Can you please upload some more picks to the first gen owners album. Rodger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks For the kind words Roger. This is the ultimate project for me. Something I Plan to pass down in the family. I took the advice of "Bryan59ec". The light seem to be working, but not in the correct order. I am going to try and meter the wires from the steering column to the joint connectors that run wires to the back lights. I might have a wire crossed somewhere...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
In the back
Wire colors

Pink---left turn and brake
Purple--Right turn and brake
Black--taillight-license
Lt grn--backup connection-----even if lamps are not there
Tan----gas gauge sending unit----might be a brown wire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Bryan, for all the great advice. I am going to meter the connection junction that is under the dash to the steering column. I'll check for malfunction at the turn lever and switches. Then I'll check for continuity of wires that start from the dash, then under the frame rails, then to the light bulbs. Could it be that I'm using the wrong light bulb? Should it be single filament 1156 or double filament 1157...? Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
1157 out back

there is a connector (8wire) that is located behind the kick panel on the driver side.
It may be a bit higher than the kick panel, and this is the intermediate harness that goes to the rear of the car.
That harness ends just behind the left rear taillight and at the rear it is a six wire connector with 5 wires in it.
Left, right, tail, backup, fuel.
(Dome light wires branch off behind the door)

Under the car near the center you may find a 3 wire connector that goes to the tailgate.
left, right, tail

Be very careful with that tailgate grommet---it is not reproduced.

You can check the intermediate harness for continuity and shorts with a helper or a long piece of wire (about 10ft long) without removing it from the car. Try to troubleshoot this harness in the car as it is kind of difficult to re-install (ask me how I know).
My 66 Elky was much easier to to fish wires thru, but still a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To Bryan, I checked for continuity from the kick panel, to the back wires. They all checked out perfect. I decided to pull the headlight switch, that's okay. I pulled the steering wheel and narrowed my problem to the turn signal switch that sits at the bottom of the steering column. Do you think I'm heading in the right direction? It seem like a process of elimination. Thank again

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
That would be the next logical place to go----but I think you may still have a ground issue.
If everything at the rear checks out okay-----there may be a bad ground up front at the turn signals.

the only thing making a ground up there is a tiny clip that is very prone to corrosion.

After making sure that my bulbs were making good contact with the socket, I drilled a little hole in the turn/park housing and grounded that to the inner fenders

·
Registered
72 Posts
ground problem for sure, lived with it for a couple years.. check the ground at the socket and work your way forward.. it's always easy for you to work back to front..good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay... I will work over the tail lights before I order any new switches. I will test each filament, of each bulb, with it securely mounted in its light housing. If that checks out. I will test the Wires from the turn switch... With your continued advice, it's been a more enjoyable process. Thanks again...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did all the tests.... Checked out all lights, grounds, and wiring. Everything seems okay. I'm going to take the next step and change some switches... Wish me luck...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts