El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - long time looker but first thread. I removed the rear spring on my 1970 today to repair a leaking airbag. In doing so I removed the lower control arm bolt. Now I have it all together except, the trailing arm and the bracket do not line up (almost a complete bolt width difference) I am thinking I may need to put my wheels and tires back on an let it back down to the ground to get these holes to line up but don't really want to do that if I am just going to have to lift it up and block if it does not work. Am I right in thinking it will all line up when the car is weighted?? If not any tips or tricks?? I hope I do not have to take the spring back off as it was easy to remove but had to wrestle a little to get it back together. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. BTW I have learned a lot from this site and really appreciate it.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I think it would be easier w/o the spring installed but try using a come-along to pull the rear either forward or rearward to get the bolt back in. Keep some support under the rear itself so it isn't hanging enough to allow the spring to pop out. A floor jack with wheels would be best as it would allow the rear to move with the come-along.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea I will give it a try and let you know how it works. THanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worked like a charm - thanks for the good idea. Yoou saved me a bunch of time and headache.:nanawrench:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts