El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was hoping that replacing the suspension would come out of desire and later on down the road, and not out of necessity right now. I am not sure when it exactly happened, but I noticed it when I was going through a hilly section and something scraped the road (presumable something on the exhaust). When I got back home that is when I noticed that the right rear is hanging low. I assume that the air shock as lost some of its pressure, but not 100% sure.

Is it just the air shock, or is there a better way to confirm it? I can post pics if needed. While looking at shocks, it seems like the gas shocks would be the way to go, but there seem to be different options such as monotube or twintube, adjustable yes or no, bushing material and boot included yes or no?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well, I was hoping that replacing the suspension would come out of desire and later on down the road, and not out of necessity right now. I am not sure when it exactly happened, but I noticed it when I was going through a hilly section and something scraped the road (presumable something on the exhaust). When I got back home that is when I noticed that the right rear is hanging low. I assume that the air shock as lost some of its pressure, but not 100% sure.

Is it just the air shock, or is there a better way to confirm it? I can post pics if needed. While looking at shocks, it seems like the gas shocks would be the way to go, but there seem to be different options such as monotube or twintube, adjustable yes or no, bushing material and boot included yes or no?
Park the car on level ground and measure from the bottom of the frame to the ground just behind the rear tires and see what the difference is. Are you sure the bumper isnt crooked making it look like its sagging?

Let us know what you find out?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I measured like you said. The measurements behind the rear wheels were the same, but I also measured in front of the rear wheels and the drivers side was 1/2 inch higher than the passenger side. I can't tell if the bumper is crooked or not but I don't think so. The passenger's side tire is higher up in the wheel well than the driver's side.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts

Same here when I had the truck done I told them to replace the spring. Maybe they didn't but I changed the shocks with no improvement. Mine is the back drivers side. Take a look I'm not trying to high jack your thread I hope we both get it fixed quick.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmm, well there definitely isn't a difference in the between the two front tires... It is only noticeable with the right rear tire as far as it being close to the rear wheel.
Ok, so the measurements are the same behind the rear tires and the same at the front tires (frame to ground), but different in front of the rear tires by a 1/2 inch?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Listen start from the obvious. Fill the air shocks and watch what happens. Do both sides go up? Does the right side leak down fast? Then if that appears OK, jack it up, support it on stands and get under there and see what's wrong. Bad body mounts are one possibilty. Maybe even worn rear control arm bushings. Worst case a rotted frame.

·
2,566 Posts
Robert
Do you have the spare and jack stored in the right side of the smuggler's box?

·
Silver Contributor Participating Member
461 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the air shocks are connected by one and the same air line without check valves, so that if one shock would leak air, it would also affect the other one (all the air would leak out of the system essentially). I may be wrong on that but if not, then one bad shock would not explain this condition. I would start with the springs myself and, as suggested, look at the left-right distribution of heavy things.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so many responses! Thank you!

Ok, so the measurements are the same behind the rear tires and the same at the front tires (frame to ground), but different in front of the rear tires by a 1/2 inch?
Correct! But the visual difference is definitely in the rear of the car, not the front.

Listen start from the obvious. Fill the air shocks and watch what happens. Do both sides go up? Does the right side leak down fast? Then if that appears OK, jack it up, support it on stands and get under there and see what's wrong. Bad body mounts are one possibilty. Maybe even worn rear control arm bushings. Worst case a rotted frame.
Ok, how do I go about filling the air shocks? I do have an air compressor...

If I am not mistaken, the air shocks are connected by one and the same air line without check valves, so that if one shock would leak air, it would also affect the other one (all the air would leak out of the system essentially). I may be wrong on that but if not, then one bad shock would not explain this condition. I would start with the springs myself and, as suggested, look at the left-right distribution of heavy things.
Hmm, well that might explain the rear end riding all around softer than before, hence the scraping sometimes on rebound. The left to right distribution is fairly even. I keep the jack behind the seats, but still in the cab, and the spare is where the smugglers box would be but actually in the bed, but centered on the vehicle, left to right.

·
2,566 Posts
There should be a valve under the gas door. Look around you may have one on each side of the car. In the bed, under the rear bumper, etc.
As far as the rear shocks having one line....yeah maybe 40 years ago. Who knows what's there now? It's still the obvious place to start.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Have you put it up on jack stands to see if anything is disconnected? Or if something is really worn? Body bushings possibly? The fact that the frame is level behind the tires but not in front of and that the front isn't uneven makes the whole thing a big puzzle. Good luck with it and keep us informed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Problem solved!! (Hopefully)

Well I finally found the valve stems, and they were out the back by the license plate. Filled them up with my bike pump because I just wanted to check to see if it was just a normal adapter, then when I started checking the pressure, I realized how easy it was and just filled it up that way instead of dragging the air comp from the basement. I filled it up to 90 mainly because that's where the tire looked normal in the wheel well. I filled them both up to that much and it feels much stiffer now too. If that is too high please let me know and I will adjust it.

Now to wait and see if it leaks or just low from 40 yrs of use... Thanks again for you help guys!

·
2,566 Posts
So you have 2, one for each shock? Ok try around 30 psi and see if it still sits right or rides too stiff. If it does, drop like 5 psi at a time until you're happy with the ride and stance. Usually around 15 psi unloaded is OK.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts